Baylor Softball Defeats UCF, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 19 22:11:54 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – APRIL 19, 2024
Baylor Softball Defeats UCF, 2-1
Bears snap Knights 10-game win streak
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor Softball took down UCF, 2-1, Friday night at Getterman Stadium to snap the Knights 10-game win streak.
THE RUNDOWN
The Bears jumped out with an early lead in the Friday night series opener after plating a run in the bottom of the first inning. Emily Hott led off the game by getting hit by a pitch before Presleigh Pilon laid down a sacrifice bunt to move her to second. Shaylon Govan then reached on a fielder’s choice as Hott was safe at third to put runners on the corners. A wild pitch from UCF brought Hott home from third to score the Bears’ first run of the game.

After allowing a walk in the top of the second, Aliyah Binford and the Bears retired the next three batters which Binford capped off with a strikeout.

UCF threatened with runners in scoring position in the top of the third with two outs, but a groundout ended the threat.

In the top of the fourth, the Knights tied the game after a leadoff home run that would be it as Binford and the Baylor defense shut down the scoring.

Sydney Collazos laid down a bunt single in the bottom of the third before Ana Watson singled to put two runners on, but a batter interference call at the plate stopped the Bears from scoring.

Baylor got the lead back in the bottom of the sixth after Govan launched her fifth home run of the season over the wall in right-center to put the Bears on top 2-1.

After retiring the Knights in order for the last three innings, the Bears secured their sixth conference win of the season.
HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears recorded three hits in the game off the bats of Ana Watson, Shaylon Govan and Sydney Collazos
  *   Govan hit her fifth home run of the season
  *   Aliyah Binford picked up her seventh win in the circle, pitching the complete-game two-hitter and striking out four
  *   Binford and the Bears defense effectively retired the last nine batters of the game
  *   BU snapped the Knights’ 10-game win streak
  *   The Bears are back in the win column after four-straight losses
  *   Baylor is now 23-18 on the season and 6-13 in conference play

QUOTABLE
Head coach Glenn Moore on getting the win tonight …
“I don’t know if I can put it into words. It’s just been such a burden. The practices have maintained a high level of intensity and you worry about a team losing confidence, you worry about frustrations leading to inner-squad issues. I think it says a lot about the leadership of this team and the maturity of this team that we haven’t gone those routes. They’ve believed that the games they’ve lost, most of them, they should have won or could have won. And I think that’s allowed them to continue to believe they still have a chance. So, this was a big win, but we’ve still got a lot of work to do. And I don’t think we’re too high about it. It’s just like our work finally paid off for once, and we’ve just got to hopefully build some momentum because they’re a good team and they’re not used to losing, as of late especially. And they’re going to come back even better than they were today. And we’ve got to bring it again tomorrow.”

Shaylon Govan on her approach in the box …
“In this game, it’s all about failure. So, I’m just trying to take all the information that I’m failing in, in the at-bats, and trying to put in something positive for the team and just to lead us to get more wins and get more confidence under our belt.”

UP NEXT
The Bears will face UCF for game two of the series Saturday, April 20 at 11 a.m. CT.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>