Baylor WGOLF Remains Tied for Fourth at the Big 12 Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 19 18:01:48 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS- April 19, 2024

Baylor WGOLF Remains Tied for Fourth at the Big 12 Championship
BU’s Hasegawa turns in 1-under 70 to pace the Bears
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

HOCKLEY, Texas — Baylor women's golf finished Friday in a tie for fourth place with Kansas State after round two of the Big 12 Championships at Houston Oaks.

Junior Sera Hasegawa was one of eight players to break par in the second round, shooting a 1-under 70 to tie for seventh place. Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn of Iowa State leads with an 8-under 134, four shots better than Texas' Farah O'Keefe in second place and nine shots ahead of Hasegawa.

The Bears dropped five shots on the final hole to fall back into a tie with the Wildcats for a second-straight day with 13-under 581s. Texas continues to lead with a 1-over 569, five shots in front of second-place Houston at 6-over 574.

THE RUNDOWN
Hasegawa started strong with an early birdie at No. 11 but dropped two shots with back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 14 and 15. She made the turn at even par with a birdie at the difficult par-4 18th. The junior followed it up with another birdie at No. 1 to get back into red figures. Her fourth birdie of the day came at No. 8 before relinquishing a shot with a bogey at the par-3 ninth.

Rosie Belsham shot a 2-over 73 and is tied for 11th after two rounds. The senior made a bogey at No. 12 but fought back to even with a birdie at No. 16. She made the turn at 1-over after a second bogey of the round at No. 18 and added another at No. 2. The Whitley Bay, England, native took advantage of the par-5 fourth with a birdie but dropped a shot with a bogey at No. 9 to finish the round.

Silje Ohma also carded a 2-over 73 on Friday and sits tied for 19th. The sophomore made an early birdie at No. 11 but gave it back with a bogey at No. 14 to fall back to even par. She made the turn at even after a birdie at No. 16 and a bogey at No. 17. Following a bogey at No. 1, Ohma played her next seven holes at 1-under, highlighted by a birdie at No. 8. Her tee shot at No. 9 found the water, leading to a double-bogey five to close out the round.

Ashleen Kaur finished Friday with a 2-over 73 and a tie for 32nd. She started with an early birdie on her second hole of the day at No. 11. After six-straight pars, Kaur dropped her first shot with a bogey at No. 18 to make the turn with an even-par 36. Kaur got back into red figures with a birdie at No. 4 but closed with three bogeys in her final five holes at Nos. 5, 6 and 9.

BaiMai Seema shot a 4-over 75 to tie for 41st with 18 holes to play. The junior opened the round with five-straight pars ahead of a double-bogey five at No. 15. She closed the front nine strong with a birdie at No. 18 to shoot a 1-over 37. After fighting back to even with with a birdie at No. 4, Seema closed with four-straight bogeys at Nos. 6, 7, 8 and 9.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor's second-round 289 is the seventh-best Big 12 Championship round in program history.
  *   Through two rounds, Baylor has the best par-5 scoring average (4.75).
  *   The Bears have the third-most pars in the field this week (118).
  *   Sera Hasegawa is one of 25 players in program history to shoot 70 or better in a Big 12 Championship round.
  *   Hasegawa is tied for the third-most pars through two rounds.
  *   Silje Ohma is second in the field in par-5 scoring average (4.38).
  *   Rosie Belsham is tied for the third-best par-5 scoring average (4.50).

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble — “This is a challenging golf course that you have to step up and hit shots with a lot of conviction and a lot of self-belief. We did that for about 95% of the round, and then the last hole today, the last couple of holes yesterday, we've given away a lot of shots. Our expectations are much higher than this. We expect that we're going to go out and play a really good round tomorrow. So, we’ll reevaluate and work hard tonight on some things to get us ready for tomorrow. We know what to expect out here. We've played a lot of rounds of golf on this course, and we'll come out here fighting tomorrow.

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears will play alongside Kansas and Kansas State on Saturday in the final round, featuring an 8:15 a.m. shotgun start. Starting hole assignments, live scoring and stats can be found at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28825>, while final-round coverage will be streamed live on ESPN+<https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/44881455-29a5-415f-9fed-aa106e1f308c> beginning at 12:30 p.m. with Ryan Burr and Suzy Whaley on the call.

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)