Baylor Baseball Slips in Sunday Finale to Incarnate Word

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 7 18:06:42 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 7, 2024

Baylor Baseball Slips in Sunday Finale to Incarnate Word
Teplanszky stays hot with two hits, Mazoch homers in loss

WACO, Texas – After clinching the weekend series on Saturday, Baylor baseball slipped in the series finale to Incarnate Word, 14-1, on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

The Bears (13-18) were held in check through most of the day, as a pair of Cardinals pitchers limited BU to just six hits. Junior infielder Hunter Teplanszky picked up two of those knocks, his 12th multi-hit effort of the year, while sophomore catcher Zach Mazoch provided the damage with his first home run of the season.

Despite the loss, Baylor won its fourth-straight home series, marking the first time since the 2015 season that the Bears have done so.

THE RUNDOWN
Freshman left-hander Mason Green gave BU a solid start in 3.2 innings of work, holding UIW (16-14) scoreless until the fourth inning when he ran into a bit of trouble. Though he exited with a runner on first base and two outs, an RBI double to the right-center wall off reliever Stephen Sepulveda brought the runner around for the game’s first tally.

>From there, it was all UIW as the Cardinals plated four runs in the fifth and four more in the sixth to go ahead 9-0.

Mazoch’s blast came in the bottom of the sixth but it wasn’t enough to spark a rally, keeping the scoreline at 9-1.

UIW went on to score five runs in the top of the eighth to pull away for good and shut the door on BU in the home half to cap off the run-rule.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Despite the loss on Sunday, BU has now won each of its last four home series.
• This is the first time since the 2015 season that the Bears have won four-straight home series.
• Baylor is now 7-1 all-time against Incarnate Word.
• Redshirt junior OF Enzo Apodaca extended his hit streak to 10 games.
• Junior OF Ty Johnson extended his hit streak to six games.
• Junior OF Wesley Jordan extended his team-leading on-base streak to 23 games.
• Senior INF Daniel Altman has now reached base in nine straight games.
• Junior INF Hunter Teplanszky tallied his team-leading 12th multi-hit game of the year and extended his on-base streak to 15 games and his hitting streak to seven games
• Sophomore C Zach Mazoch hit his first home run of the season and third of his career, extending his hitting streak to six games.
• Junior INF Tyriq Kemp has reached safely in nine straight games.

STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Baylor has won four-straight home series for the first time since 2015.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On winning the series…
“Winning two out of three, yeah that’s good but that’s not what we had an opportunity to do today. Anytime you win the first two games of the series, if you don’t sweep it you feel like junk. We got a lesson today and that’s that we have to show up every day. We have to use this as a lesson that the next time we have an opportunity to sweep somebody, we have to have the hunger to do that. The next time somebody has the opportunity to sweep us, we have to show up with the determination that it's not happening.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (13-18, 5-7) begins a five-game road trip at No. 7 Dallas Baptist (25-6, 6-3) on Tuesday, April 9, with a 6:35 p.m. scheduled first pitch at Horner Ballpark in Dallas.
To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (Baseball, Football)