No. 21 Baylor Softball Dominates Texas Tech, 11-3

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 7 17:48:13 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – APRIL 7, 2024
No. 21 Baylor Softball Dominates Texas Tech, 11-3
Bears run-rule Red Raiders after sixth-inning walk off
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor Softball dominated Texas Tech, 11-3, Sunday afternoon at Getterman Stadium, walking off the Red Raiders with a run rule in the sixth inning.

THE RUNDOWN
The Bears’ offense came to play in Sunday’s rubber match, with BU starting the game with three runs in the bottom of the first.

After the Bears allowed a single baserunner in the top of the first, Abi Flores and Shaylon Govan drew back-to-back walks in the bottom half of the inning to put two on. Sydney Collazos, who went 3-for-3 at the plate, then singled up the middle to bring home pinch-runner Caroline Rowatt to score the Bears’ first run. Leah Cran then reached on a fielder’s choice, which allowed the runners to advance before Flores came home to score on an error. With the 2-0 advantage, Presleigh Plon then singled to put the Bears up by three runs.

Baylor added a run in the bottom of the second after Govan hit a two-out double and Flores walked to put two on for Collazos, who ripped another single up the middle for her second RBI of the day.

Texas Tech threatened with a runner on second in the top of the third, but a pop-up ended the threat.

To lead off the bottom of the third, Taylor Strain was hit by a pitch and Kaci West reached on a throwing error that moved Strain to third. Strain then came home to score when Emily Hott reached after a fielder’s choice, but West was caught in a rundown at home plate and was tagged out.

The Red Raiders were able to put up three runs in the bottom of the fourth after a couple of timely hits and a wild pitch.

Not happy with the two-run lead, Baylor answered with two more runs in the bottom of the fourth courtesy of a two-RBI single off the bat of West.

After RyLee Crandall entered to pitch in the top of the fifth, she allowed a leadoff walk before retiring the last two batters of the inning with back-to-back strikeouts.

Baylor added its eighth and ninth runs of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning when Collazos roped her third single of the day and Cran reached on a sacrifice bunt fielder’s choice where Ana Watson was able to beat the throw home.

Crandall retired the Red Raiders in order in the top of the sixth before the Bears were able to secure the victory early. After a leadoff walk to West, Ashlyn Wachtendorf singled and Hott reached on a fielder’s choice to put runners on the corners with one out. Watson then singled up the middle to make it a 10-3 ballgame before Flores singled through the right side to put the Bears up by eight runs and secure the walk-off run-rule win in six innings.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Seven Bears combined for 10 total hits in the game
  *   Sydney Collazos went a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate with three RBIs and a walk
  *   Collazos’ three hits and three RBIs tie single-game career highs in both categories
  *   Ana Watson went 2-for-2 at the plate, scoring two runs and picking up an RBI
  *   Eleven runs are the second-highest offensive output from the team this season
  *   Kaci West picked up two RBIs
  *   Shaylon Govan recorded the Bears’ only extra-base hit, a double
  *   The Bears have won two-straight conference series
  *   Aliyah Binford picks up the win in the circle, pitching 4.0 innings
  *   RyLee Crandall pitched in her third-straight game for the Bears, tossing 2.0 scoreless innings and not allowing a hit
  *   Three Bears were hit by a pitch
  *   This game marks the ninth game this season the Bears have recorded at least 10 hits
  *   The Bears scored a run in every inning

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Glenn Moore on the game …
“I thought it was a very well-played game. Saw a lot of different looks and adjusted well. It's a game of adjustments. I said that earlier in a mid-game interview. That's what we've not done well the last few weeks. I was really happy with what we did. They forced them to swing at a lot of strikes, they swung at a lot of balls out of the zone and had good production and timely hits for a change. A couple of bad-luck, like Aliyah Binford's line drive up the middle where nobody's supposed to be. We've seen a lot of that this year, but I was really happy with our offense today.”

Sydney Collazos on scoring in every inning …
“It was huge, I think we sent the message that we’re not comfortable and we’re not going to let them take the momentum they got in the fourth inning. That’s how we need to play all the time, as if it’s a new game every inning. We did a great job of making each inning count.”

UP NEXT
The Bears will head on the road for a nonconference matchup against UTSA on Tuesday, April 9, at 6 p.m. at Roadrunner Field.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>