Baylor WGOLF Returns to the Lone Star State for the Veritex Bank Showdown

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 7 11:43:00 CDT 2024

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS- April 7, 2024

Baylor WGOLF Returns to the Lone Star State for the Veritex Bank Showdown
The event will feature 36 holes of stroke play and 36 holes of match play
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

DALLAS, Texas – Baylor women’s golf will play its first event of the season in the State of Texas beginning Monday at the Veritex Bank Showdown at Dallas Athletic Club.

BU and SMU have teamed up to host the event that will feature eight teams and consist of 36 holes of stroke play on Monday, followed by two rounds of match play on Tuesday. After a season of crisscrossing the country this season, Baylor head coach Jay Goble is looking forward to being close to home, while getting a good tune up for the postseason.

“I really like the way we have been playing the last few weeks and I just want to see us take another step forward this week with the Big 12 Championship right around the corner,” he said. “It’s nice to partner with SMU to put on this event, right up the road, on a course we are familiar with, so I’m really excited to tee it up tomorrow.”

Sera Hasegawa will play at No. 1 this week, fresh off an outstanding month for the Bears. The junior lowered her season stroke average by almost a stroke and a half (1.49) from 74.25 to 72.76 since February. She played seven of her last nine rounds at par or better and carded two top-10 finishes.

Ashleen Kaur will get the nod at No. 2 at Dallas Athletic Club. The freshman has carded a team-leading 73 birdies this season and boasts a below-par percentage of 19.4%, which also leads the team.

BaiMai Seema will play at the No. 3 this week fresh off a good showing at the PING/ASU Invitational where she tied for 21st. The junior ranks second on the team in par-3 scoring average this season (3.12).

Rosie Belsham will play at No. 4 this week. The senior has played steady all season making par or better 82.3% of the time on her 396 holes played this season.

Silje Ohma returns to Dallas Athletic Club playing in the No. 5 position. The sophomore collected Big 12 All-Tournament Team honors with a tie for ninth at the 2023 Big 12 championship at DAC.

Freshman Yoonjeong Huh will be available for the match play portion on Tuesday. Huh ranks third on the team in par-3 scoring average this season (3.22).

Hannah Herbel and Mallory Matthews will compete this week as individuals. Herbel will be making her first appearance since the Rainbow Wahine Invitational, while Matthews is back in the lineup for the second time this spring, after finishing 33rd at the Match in the Desert in January.

Once available, complete pairings, scores and stats can be found at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28618>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on X, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)