Baylor Soccer Falls Against No. 25 Texas Tech, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 24 16:14:48 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 24, 2023

Baylor Soccer Falls Against No. 25 Texas Tech, 2-0
Bears face Kansas and Kansas State in conference play this week

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer fell against No. 25 Texas Tech, 2-0, Sunday afternoon at Betty Lou Mays Field.

Texas Tech threatened early in the first half, with a shot off of the left woodwork in the fourth minute. The Red Raiders followed with three more shots off target before first-half goalkeeper Makinzie Short made her first save of the match in the 15th minute.

Tyler Isgrig fired off the Bears’ first shot of the match in the 23rd minute, but the Texas Tech goalkeeper came up with the save.

The Red Raider’s found their first goal in the 23rd minute and carried their 1-0 lead into halftime.

Adriana Merriam and Reneta Vargas had the Bears’ only other two shots of the first half, both of them coming in the final five minutes of the first 45.

TTU found its second goal of the match early in half two, when Ashleigh Williams netted her second goal in the 53rd minute.

The Bears threatened in the second half by doubling their shot total from the first half, but were only able to put one shot on frame, which came from the boot of Ava Colberg.

BU’s defense was able to limit Texas Tech to just one other shot on goal in the second half, with Ashlee Zirkel making the save in goal.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Tyler Isgrig led the Bears with four shots, one on goal
  *   Six different Bears combined for nine shots
  *   Salma Simonin made her first-career start
  *   Four Bears played the full 90 minutes
  *   Makinzie Short and Ashlee Zirkel split time in goal

QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“There's still a lot of conference games to play. We've played the best three teams in the conference straight away. While that's not meant to be an excuse, it's obvious it's not us. We can accept that because if we want to be one of those best three teams, we have to be honest with ourselves. If we can build starting next week in Kansas, get a win, build on that and get better along the way, then maybe at the end of the season we get another shot at one of these three teams we've played over the last two weeks in the conference tournament as a better, more improved team.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will head to Kansas to face the Kansas Jayhawks on Thursday, Sept. 28, before playing at Kansas State on Sunday, Oct. 1.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>