Team Green Dominates Team Gold in Baylor Equestrian Scrimmage

Smith, Kalie Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 15 18:45:00 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 15, 2023

Team Green Dominates Team Gold in Baylor Equestrian Scrimmage
Lilly Anthes, Rylee Butler, Carly Stasio and Anna Thron named Most Outstanding Performers
For more information contact: Kalie Smith, 409-351-0790, Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu<mailto:Kalie_Smith1 at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor Equestrian hosted its annual Green and Gold scrimmage at the Willis Family Equestrian Center on Friday, with Team Green defeating Team Gold, 13-9.

Team Green jumped to an early lead with a 3-0 Fences victory. After a two-hour rain delay, Team Gold battled back in Flat, 3-2. Team Gold managed to tie Reining 4-4 before Team Green took the meet with a 4-2 Horsemanship win.

“The scrimmage is an opportunity to get our whole team’s feet back underneath them and ready for the season,” said head coach Casie Maxwell. “We’ve got a really young squad this year. We’ve got 21 freshmen or transfers that have joined our program this year. This was about letting them see how everything runs for a home meet. I’m super proud of the team as a whole rolling with the punches this entire week, especially today, and still staying on point. Working really well together and putting out some solid rides. I couldn’t ask any more of them.”

Lilly Anthes (Fences), Rylee Butler (Reining), Carly Stasio (Flat) and Anna Thron (Horsemanship) picked up MOP honors in their respective events.

“I’m super excited,” said Jumping Seat sophomore Lauren Jorgensen. “I’m glad that we do this. I think it’s a great way to get back in the ring after summer. I showed all summer, but the college format is very different. It’s so nice to have your teammates cheer you on and getting to see all the new faces with the freshmen. I just wanted to come out here and get my nerves out a little bit. Get everything back underneath me.”

Newcomers Addisyn Albers, Riley Cachat, Loretta-Jean Devening, Juliette Earley, Nicole Golia, Bella Hehr, Ryan Jensen, Avery Mortman, Sofia Moskowitz, Mazie Petelski, Sadie Peters, Carley Rutledge, Taylor Smith, Carly Stasio and Campbell Swanner saw their first action as Bears.

WHAT’S NEXT
BU officially opens the regular season further down the Brazos at Texas A&M on Friday, Sept. 29. Baylor will begin a three-week home slate on Friday, Oct. 6, against Auburn, followed by a pair of home contests against conference rivals Oklahoma State (Oct. 13) and Fresno State (Nov. 2).

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

-BaylorBears.com-

Kalie Smith | Communications Coordinator (Equestrian)