No. 14 Baylor VB Defeats Bowling Green in Milestone Win for McGuyre

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 9 15:30:39 CDT 2023

Media Materials Folder<https://baylor.box.com/s/69uadxyf8kd8n6jjvx8okg8lvl7f7e1a>
BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 9, 2023

No. 14 Baylor VB Defeats Bowling Green in Milestone Win for McGuyre
Bears stopped Falcons in 3-1 victory Saturday

For more information contact: Madelon Allen; 254-252-7168, madelon_allen at baylor.edu<mailto:madelon_allen at baylor.edu>

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The 14th-ranked Baylor volleyball team defeated Bowling Green in three sets on Saturday in the early afternoon in Colorado, 3-1.

With the win, Ryan McGuyre became the all-time winningest head coach in Baylor volleyball history with 182 victories to his name.

BU improved to 3-3 and moved BG to 4-5 on the season with the 21-25, 25-14, 25-23, 25-18 win at Moby Arena. It was the second win for the Bears in the Ram Volleyball Classic.

The Bears were led by Kyndal Stowers who had her second 20-point match of the week, with Averi Carlson dishing out 47 assists, serving up two aces, and Lauren Briseño digging 10 balls. On the block, Alicia Andrew piled on five during the match, two of them solo.

THE RUNDOWN

Set 1

The Bears got the first kill from Elise McGhee and then went up 5-2 thanks to kills from Allie Sczech, Stowers and a second from McGhee. Sczech and McGhee made it 7-4, but Bowling Green quickly caught up and tied it at 7-all. Manuela Bibinbe got her first kill of the match to tie it back at 8-8 and Stowers put them up one. Two errors from the Falcons put BU up and Andrew made it 12-10, then Sczech got another kill. The Bears were blocked twice in a row after BG tied it at 13-all and called timeout at 15-13. Kendal Murphy came in the match and got a kill which brought it back within two, 17-15. Andrew got a kill to lessen the gap further, but a service error erased it, and Murphy got another kill to make it 18-17. At 21-17, BU called timeout. Sczech assisted the Bears in the comeback, getting BU their 20th point of the match but BG was at 23. The Falcons closed the set, 25-21, with one Baylor attack error and two BG kills.

Set 2

Second set started with a Stowers kill, having a fire lit underneath them in the first. Stowers had another kill before Bibinbe got her hands on one, now 4-2 BU. Carlson got a dump to put the Bears back up by one, 5-4. McGhee went with back-to-back bombs and sandwiched a BG kill. Andrew got a slicing kill to make it 9-7, followed by an attack error and two-straight aces from Carlson, the score now 12-7. Andrews got another two kills and a block with Sczech to put the Bears up 15-9. Stowers had back-to-back kills and then another from Andrew to keep the ball rolling for BU. Bibinbe got the 20th kill of the set and Stowers again had two-straight, putting them in set-winning territory, 22-11. A few attack errors went down in the books for both teams but a solo block by Bibinbe ended the set in BU’s favor, 25-14, holding them to just .125 attack percentage on the set.

Set 3

BU started on top in the third thanks to a bad set, but a kill from BG tied it. Bibinbe got the first kill of the set, and then Sczech followed her, breaking the block. She got another kill to make it 6-4. The Bears were blocked twice in a row to tie it up, then tied it up again with a failed serve from the Falcons. Bowling Green got ahead by two but the run was stopped by another service error. They went up three again by way of two kills and an ace, but had another bad serve to stop. BG up 13-9, BU had a solo block from Andrews to get right back in it. Sczech and Stowers kept swinging, as did Bibinbe, but a Carlson dump brought them within one, 15-14. Bibinbe got a kill but it was tied back up at 16-all with a Bowling Green attack error, and another attack error put the Bears ahead 18-17. Bears went up 22-20 thanks to Stowers and Sczech, but a kill from BG ended a three-point run. Sczech redeemed and then Carlson brought to set point, 24-22. The Bears won the set on an out ball to take it to the fourth set.

Set 4

Bowling Green got the first point of the set on an ace, but the Bears wouldn’t let them lead for the rest of the set. Stowers got a kill and then tooled the block to get the first two Baylor points of the set. Bibinbe had a kill to put them up 3-1. Stowers got a kill, and then Riley Simpson stepped on the scene. She made it 6-3 and was just getting started. Bibinbe got a kill, then Stowers, then Simpson again, now 9-6. BG went on a three-point run but a service error stopped their campaign short, 11-10. They got two more kills but Stowers and Simpson stopped it for a 14-12 score, sending the Falcons into timeout after an attack error on their end. Simpson got another kill, her fourth of the set, at 16-13. Her fifth gave BU their 17th point but BG tied it up quickly. Sczech pushed the Falcons into a timeout, and out of it, Stowers and Andrews got kills, and then teamed up for the block. Dacosta, serving since 19-17, had an ace to make it set point, 24-17. Bowling Green snuck in one last kill, but Stowers put the nail in the coffin on the set and match at 25-18.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   McGuyre became BU’s winningest coach in program history with the victory (182 wins)
  *   Simpson came in during the fourth set and had five kills
  *   Stowers had her second 20-kill match of the week, Sczech had her second 10-kill match in a row
  *   BU held the Falcons to .124 hitting percentage in the second set
  *   It was a birthday win for assistant coach Yajaira Cadet

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre

On the match

“Despite the slow start and fast turnaround, having a few people not being 100% healthy, I’m really impressed. Stowers put out another great performance, Averi moved the ball around extremely well, offensively I thought we did a lot of good things. We had high production from our middles at a good clip. Dacosta had a big service run down the stretch, but she was just really good at serve-receive which made our offense look really good. Big time kudos to Riley, she came off the bench and hit at a high percentage and gave us a much-needed spark. Bowling Green is a great program, a tournament team, and they’re going to battle for a conference championship. They’ve got some heavy hitters. Each game we get better, and each game have things we can take away that we’ve got to work on. I like how we’ve improved over the last few days so far.”

On being the winningest head coach for BU VB

“It’s a blessing that God’s given me the opportunity to be at Baylor. It’s something He predestined. I knew I wanted to coach at a young age, but I didn’t know where, what sport or how that would be, but I’m so thankful that it’s Baylor and with the people I’m surrounded with and blessed with. I’m encouraged by the team, the staff, the admin for letting me have the opportunity. Didn’t realize it going into this year or anything along those lines, but I hope for all of us our identity is in the Lord. It’s fun to be a part of Baylor’s spectacular history because of it. Having coached at a couple of different places, Baylor feels like home. I think personally, it feels joyful, and I can feel God’s peace that I’m coaching and doing what I’ve been called at a place I can call home. I hope it’s home for many, many years.”

UP NEXT

The Bears take on Pacific on Sunday morning at Moby Arena, starting at 10 a.m. CT. Live stats for the match can be found here<https://csurams.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary>.

The Tigers faced Colorado State right after the Baylor-Bowling Green match and overtook Bowling Green on Friday, September 8th in the Classic.

To stay up to date all year long on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com