Baylor MGOLF Set to Open the Season at the Valero Texas Collegiate

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:26:17 CDT 2023

SAN ANTONIO – Baylor men's golf will kick off the 2023-24 campaign at the Valero Texas Collegiate on Saturday morning on the Oaks Course at TPC San Antonio.

The home of the PGA Tour's Valero Texas Open, the Oaks Course provides a strong test for the competitors. With that in mind, head coach Mike McGraw got his team several rounds, including three qualifying rounds ahead of the South Texas event.

“I think we're probably as prepared as we could be," McGraw said. "We've actually seen the greens and the course we’ll see this weekend. If the guys have done a good job getting hydrated, getting some rest, getting caught up on school, and can focus on the tournament, then we should be very prepared.”

Entering his final season with the Bears, Johnny Keefer will play at the No. 1 spot for the 25th-straight event. The San Antonio native is familiar with the Oaks course, finishing tied for 13th when the Cabo Collegiate was contested there in 2021.

Luke Dossey will play at the No. 4 spot this weekend. Dossey enters his 25th career stroke-play event and finished tied for 79th in his only other appearance at TPC San Antonio in 2021.

Austin native Trey Bosco makes his return to the lineup at the No. 3 spot. The senior last played in the lineup at the ASU Thunderbird Collegiate in April.

Zach Heffernan will make the first start of his junior season just miles from his hometown of Boerne, Texas. At No. 4, Heffernan is making his sixth-straight start in the lineup dating back to last season.

Jonas Appel will make his career-first appearance in the lineup at No. 5. Playing in seven events as a freshman last season, Appel was second on the team with a stroke average of 72.00.

Freshman Davis Ovard will make his Baylor debut as an individual at TPC San Antonio.

Live scoring and stats can be found at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28150>. For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)