Baylor WGOLF in 10th After Day One at The NCAA Championships

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri May 19 22:52:40 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 19, 2023

Baylor WGOLF in 10th After Day One at The NCAA Championships
BU was led by its newcomers in the first round at Grayhawk
For more information, contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Sera Hasegawa and Silje Ohma showed no signs of inexperience in their first career-first rounds at Grayhawk, finishing under par and leading Baylor to a 10th-place finish on day one at the NCAA Championships.

Hasegawa burst out of the gates with three birdies in her first four holes and tied for 10th at 2-under, a shot ahead of her teammate, Ohma, who is tied for 21st. Hasegawa is six shots back of the overnight leader, Oklahoma State's Maddison Hinson-Tolchard.

Baylor’s 1-over 289 is 10 shots back of Wake Forest, who leads after round one with a 9-under 279. Just five shots separate positions No. 3 through 12.

THE RUNDOWN
Starting with a birdie at No. 1, Hasegawa added birdies at Nos. 2 and 4 to reach 3-under before her first bogey of the day came at No. 5. After making the turn with a 2-under 34, the sophomore transfer carded six-straight pars until another bogey came at No. 16. She punctuated her first round at Grayhawk with a birdie at No. 18 for an even-par 34 back nine, and a 2-under 70 for the day.

Ohma started her round with a bogey at No. 1, but settled in with five-straight pars and a birdie at No. 7. The sophomore gave a stroke back with a bogey at No. 8, and made the turn with a 1-over 37. The native of Bergen, Norway, got back to even par with a birdie at No. 10 and closed her round with birdies on two of the last three holes, around a bogey at No. 17 for a 1-under 71 in her NCAA Championship debut.

Rosie Belsham burst out of the gates on Friday with birdies on three of her first four holes, before suffering her first bogey of the day at No. 6. She put a bow on a brilliant front nine with a birdie at No. 9 to make the turn with a 3-under 33. Belsham ran into a bit of trouble on the back nine with five bogeys at Nos. 10, 11, 13, 15 and 17 to get into the clubhouse with a 2-over 74 and a tie for 66th.

Hannah Karg also finished tied for 66th on Friday with a 2-over 74 of her own. The senior opened her final tournament with a bogey at No. 1, but reeled off eight-straight pars to close out the front nine with a 1-over 73. On the back nine, Karg’s only blemish came with a bogey at No. 12.

Britta Snyder finished day one in a tie for 142nd with a 7-over 79. Her round began with a quadruple-bogey eight at No. 1, while adding a double bogey at No. 7 and a bogey at No. 9. The junior got a stroke back with a birdie at No. 10 but suffered another double bogey at No. 14. Snyder played solid down the stretch, recording a birdie at No. 16 followed by a pair of pars to close out the round.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU’s 289 is its best NCAA Championship round since 2018.
  *   Friday’s 289 was the sixth-best score among teams in the afternoon wave.
  *   Sera Hasegawa has now recorded six-straight rounds under par.
  *   Hasegawa is 14 under par in her four NCAA postseason rounds.
  *   Hannah Karg tied for the second-most pars on day one with 16.
  *   Karg set a new career-best score in the NCAA Championships with a 2-over 74. Her previous best was a 4-over 76 in the 2021 NCAA's.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble on the opening round: “We hung in there. This championship is a long week, and you can't win it on the first day, so we just came out here and tried to hold it together through some tough conditions to finish. We faced more wind than the morning wave, and then the last three to five holes got really windy. It got to the point where we saw some of the holes play like we'd never seen them before. We're in a good spot moving forward for tomorrow, knowing that we're going to have better conditions. Today was always going to be the tough round to get under our belt, so I feel good that we came out in a good position to build on it tomorrow."

Goble on Hasegawa and Ohma making their NCAA Debut: “They were super impressive, especially going in the No. 1 and No. 3 spot. To go out on a golf course like this and play in those pivotal positions in this kind of wind was huge for us. It was a hard finish on some of the harder holes on the golf course. I'm proud of them. I think our future's bright with those two, and I think they will have a good week this week and continue to move us where we need to be.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play with Texas and Northwestern again at 9:27 a.m. CT on the tenth tee. BaiMai Seema will replace Britta Snyder and be first off, followed by Hannah Karg at 9:38 a.m. Rosie Belsham will tee off at 9:49 a.m., just ahead of Silje Ohma at 10:00 a.m. Sera Hasegawa will be in the anchor position at 10:11 a.m. Live scoring and stats are available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=26045>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)