No. 18 Baylor Softball Falls in Game One of the Salt Lake City Regional Against Ole Miss, 3-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri May 19 17:23:03 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 19, 2023

No. 18 Baylor Softball Falls in Game One of the Salt Lake City Regional Against Ole Miss, 3-0
Bears bring tying tun to the plate in the 6th and 7th, but come up short

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah. - No. 18 Baylor Softball fell in game one of the Salt Lake City Regional against Ole Miss, 3-0, Friday afternoon at Dumke Family Softball Stadium.

The Bears, now 39-17 on the season, were shut out for just the seventh time this season after threatening in the sixth and seventh innings.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears worked out of a jam early after a couple Rebels reached base in the top of the first but were able to hold them scoreless. First baseman Shaylon Govan singled in the bottom of the first, but that would be all for the Bears, as both teams went scoreless to begin the game.

Ole Miss took the early lead in the top of the second when a two-run homer to straight-away center plated the first runs for the Rebels. They had two more batters reach base in the inning, but the Bears turned a double play before a groundout to shortstop ended the threat.

The Rebels added their third run in the top of the fifth after a leadoff single and a triple.

After four-straight three-up, three-down innings, the Bears tried to start a rally in the bottom of the sixth when Ashlyn Wachtendorf hit a pinch-hit single to left field, before McKenzie Wilson reached on an error and a groundout moved runners to second and third. Govan then drew a four-pitch walk to load the bases, but a pop-up ended the threat.

Ole Miss got runners into scoring position in the top of the seventh but a strikeout from RyLee Crandall and a groundout stopped the Rebels from scoring any more runs.

Baylor was down to its last chance in the bottom of the seventh and didn’t go down without a fight. With two outs, Josie Bower walked before Kaci West singled to put runners on corners for the Bears. Presleigh Pilon then hit a hard-hit liner up the middle, but the shortstop made the catch to end the game.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   This is only the Bears’ seventh shutout of the season
  *   Shaylon Govan, Ashlyn Wachtendorf and Kaci West accounted for the Bears’ three hits
  *   RyLee Crandall pitched 4.2 quality innings, only allowing one run and striking out two
  *   The Bears are now 33-14 all-time in the first round of the NCAA Tournament
  *   BU is now 3-1 all-time against Ole Miss

QUOTABLE

Head coach Glenn Moore on the game: “I’m obviously disappointed in the outcome of the first game. It’s not the way you want to start. I thought out girls were prepared. I thought they had the right attitude and right approach. We just got beat. I thought we competed well, and we squared up on a lot of balls and balls that went too down. But I thought overall we competed. We didn’t execute some things that we should have and didn’t do some things that would have helped us later in the game, especially with (Catelyn) Riley being so efficient early on. RyLee, our pitcher, came in and did a great job after Kaci had a rough start, probably struggling a little bit and not feeling the best in the world. We decided to stay with our decision to go with her and there just really was a lot on her.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will play the loser of the Utah-Southern Illinois game at 4:30 p.m. CT Saturday to continue day two of the NCAA Regional Tournament. The Bears are now in a win-or-go-home scenario at the Salt Lake City Regional.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>