No. 2 Seed Baylor WGOLF in Fifth After Two Rounds at the Pullman Regional

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Tue May 9 18:22:36 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 9, 2023

No. 2 Seed Baylor WGOLF in Fifth After Two Rounds at the Pullman Regional
BU’s 7-under 281 tied for the second-best postseason team round in program history
For more information, contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

PULLMAN, Wash. – Baylor women’s golf fired a 7-under 281 on Tuesday to sit in fifth place after the second round of the Pullman Regional at Palouse Ridge Golf Club.

The Bears will enter Wednesday’s final round on the cutline, as the top-five teams will advance to the NCAA Championships at Grayhawk next week.

Sera Hasegawa shot a second-straight 68 on Tuesday to climb into a tie for fifth with an 8-under 136, two shots off the individual lead. The sophomore’s 36-hole score is just one shot off Hayley Davis’ postseason program record of 135.

The Bears are four shots clear of sixth-place Sacramento State while within five shots of second-place Texas Tech. Stanford’s Rose Zhang leads all individuals with a 12-under 132, just four shots better than Hasegawa.

THE RUNDOWN
Hasegawa opened with nine-straight pars to make the turn with an even-par 36. The sophomore turned to the back nine with a birdie at No. 10 to get into red figures and followed with four-straight pars. The East Tennessee State transfer closed with birdies on three of her final four holes at Nos. 15, 16 and 17 for a team-leading ninth round in the 60s this season.

Rosie Belsham fired a 2-under 70 to finish Tuesday in 15th place. The junior went out in 1-under with a 35, thanks to a birdie at No. 8. She added two more birdies at Nos. 11 and 15 before her first bogey of the tournament came at No. 16. She followed with a birdie at No. 17, before closing with a bogey at No. 18 for a second-straight round of 70.

Hannah Karg pulled into a tie for 25th after a 1-under 71 on Tuesday. She started strong with a birdie at No. 2, but followed it up with a bogey at No. 4. The senior played her final five holes at even par, including a bogey at No. 8 and a birdie at No. 9 to make the turn at even. Karg opened the back nine with a pair of birdies at Nos. 10 and 11 but gave a shot back with a bogey at No. 13. A birdie at the par-3 16th was offset by a bogey at No. 17 to finish off a 1-under 71.

Silje Ohma battled her way to an even-par 72 to sit in a tie for 38th with 18 holes to play. The freshman played her first seven holes at 2-under, with birdies at Nos. 2, 5 and 7 around a bogey at No. 4, for a 1-under 35 on the front nine. Ohma made a couple more bogeys at Nos. 12 and 14 to fall back over par on the day. She finished strong with a birdie at No. 17 to return to even for the round.

Britta Snyder also finished Tuesday in a tie for 38th after an even-par 72 of her own. The junior opened with nine-straight pars to make the turn at even. On No. 10, Snyder made her first birdie of the day before making her lone bogey of the day at No. 16, to finish off her 72.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU’s 281 tied for the second-best team round in postseason program history.
  *   The Bears' score of 281 marked the third-best score in the second round.
  *   Baylor leads the field with 121 pars through two rounds, three ahead of Texas Tech.
  *   Sera Hasegawa’s 36-hole score of 136 is just one shot off Hayley Davis’ postseason program record of 135.
  *   Hasegawa’s 136 is her new career-best 36-hole score.
  *   Rosie Belsham played the first 33 holes of the regional without a bogey.
  *   Belsham’s 28 pars are the second-most in the field.
  *   Britta Snyder has made 27 pars, tied for the third-most in the field.

QUOTABLE:
Head coach Jay Goble: “Today was a more difficult and challenging day, but we shot a lower score, so I'm proud of what they did out there. Throughout our lineup, everybody's playing well. I still think we're having a little trouble getting out of first gear, especially on the back nine, which is a bit of an easier nine holes, especially finishing with two par fives. Like we have done many times this year, the conditions were tougher today, and we played better. So I feel like with the weather predicted to be better tomorrow, I feel like we're poised to have a great day.”

Goble on Hasegawa: “Sera does a really great job of staying in the present like we said yesterday. On a tough, cold and windy day like today, she did a great job hitting the shot in front of her. I think that if we all do that as a team tomorrow and just hit the shots in front of us, then good things are going to happen.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will play in the final round with Southern California and Sacramento State, beginning at 10 a.m. CT, on the first tee. Britta Snyder will be first off, followed by Silje Ohma at 10:11 a.m. Hannah Karg will tee off at 10:22 a.m., just ahead of Rosie Belsham at 10:33 a.m. Sera Hasegawa will be last off at 10:44 a.m.

The top five teams will advance to the NCAA Championship, with all ties being resolved. Live scoring and stats are available at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=28078>

For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF)