K-State Takes Conference Opener Over Baylor Baseball

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 17 22:40:23 CDT 2023

K-State Takes Conference Opener Over Baylor Baseball
Bears rack up 10 strikeouts for 14th time this season in Friday night loss

WACO, Texas – Kansas State (13-5, 1-0) got the best of Baylor baseball (6-12, 0-1) Friday night at Baylor Ballpark, taking an 8-1 decision in a Big 12 Conference opener in Waco.

Despite striking out double-digit batters for the 14th time this season, the Bears were unable to muster up more than just one run against the Wildcats. Junior INF/OF Cole Posey and sophomore C Cortlan Castle each collected two hits, while junior OF Hunter Simmons drove in BU’s lone run of the night.

THE RUNDOWN
K-State took advantage of three walks and a Baylor error to score three runs in the top of the first. Then, three-straight hits in the top of the second inning increased the ‘Cats’ lead to 4-0.

In the bottom of the third, Castle started things off with a single up the middle and moved to second on freshman INF Kolby Branch’s walk. With the base on balls, Branch extended his on-base streak to 18 games. After redshirt freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski moved the runners with a sacrifice bunt, it was Simmons who delivered the RBI sac fly to get Baylor on the board.

BU’s starting RHP and fifth-year senior Blake Helton settled in to allow just one more run before exiting in the fifth, trailing 5-1. While the Bears couldn’t spark a rally in the middle to late innings, K-State tacked on a pair in the seventh and another in the eighth to increase its lead to 8-1.

KSU’s bullpen held Baylor hitless in the final 3.1 frames of the ballgame, closing out the series-opening contest and handing BU its first Big 12 loss of the year.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor still leads the all-time series, 53-33, over Kansas State.
• BU pitchers struck out double-digit batters for the 14th time in 18 games this season.
• Friday night’s mark of 10 punchouts signaled the Bears’ third-straight game with at least 10 K’s and the seventh time in the last eight efforts.
• Freshman INF Kolby Branch extended his on-base streak to 18 games to start the season.
• Fourth-year junior INF/OF Cole Posey tallied his third multi-hit game of the year and second in as many games.
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle collected his first double of the year as part of a career high-tying two-hit game, his first of the year and fourth of his career.
• Junior OF Hunter Simmons notched his fourth RBI in his last four games.

STAT OF THE GAME
14 – Baylor pitchers struck out double-digit batters for the 14th time in 18 games this season.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s game…
"I don’t think we pitched the ball very well tonight. Obviously, we’re going to have a hard time winning a game only scoring one, but I don’t think we pitched very well. We walked them too many times, it started in the first inning and again we were playing from behind right from the get-go. It’s a tough one. Give K-State credit, they took advantage of every opportunity we gave them.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (6-12, 0-1) and K-State (13-5, 1-0) return to the diamond for a Saturday matinee at 2 p.m. at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)