No. 19 Illinois Takes 4-2 Decision over Baylor MT

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 17 22:13:34 CDT 2023

No. 19 Illinois Takes 4-2 Decision over Baylor MT
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis lost its Friday night match against the 19th-ranked Illinois Illini, 4-2, at the Hurd Tennis Center.

Baylor (8-10) took two points from singles wins by Zsombor Velcz on Court Three and Tadeas Paroulek on Court One.

THE RUNDOWN

The first doubles win came at the No. 1 spot, with Hunter Heck and Carlis Ozolins defeating No. 24 Paroulek and Velcz, 6-3, just their second loss of the 2023 season after a six-match win streak. 52nd-ranked Oliver Okonkwo and Mathis Debru clinched the doubles point for Illinois, 6-4, over Luc Koenig and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi.

Christopher Frantzen and Justin Braverman left their match unfinished with a 4-3 lead over Kenta Meyoshi and Alex Petrov.

The Bears struck first and took singles point No. 1, as Velcz got the two-set win, 6-2, 7-6(1), over Heck. Court Five and Okonkwo answered, defeating Koenig 6-4, 6-4. Grassi Mazzuchi fell at No. 4, 7-6(7), 6-2, to William Mroz in a fight.

No. 98 Paroulek tallied BU’s second point with his two-setter over Heck, 6-4, 6-3.

No. 42 Ozolins saw a fight from Marko Miladinović, who fought back for a second-set win, but eventually clinched the match with a 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 decision.

Court Six was left unfinished, but Ethan Muza was in the middle of a third set fight, 5-7, 6-1, 2-5, in favor of Illinois’ Meister.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Friday’s match…

“Credit goes to Illinois tonight. They did a fantastic job of playing the conditions really well and trusting themselves under pressure and that was really the difference in the match. It was very, very close throughout and I thought that the guys played well, and the coaches did an excellent job making sure that they were ready and understanding what they needed to do in those big moments. I thought our guys showed a lot of fight. We haven’t been short on fight. Guys are showing good signs here and there, we just need to fire on all cylinders. Looking forward to another opportunity on Sunday.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears return to the Hurd Tennis Center on Sunday for a doubleheader against Wake Forest at 1 p.m. and Prairie View A&M at 6 p.m.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)