No. 21 Baylor Softball Splits Midweek Doubleheader Against South Dakota State

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Wed Mar 15 22:50:17 CDT 2023

No. 21 Baylor Softball Splits Midweek Doubleheader Against South Dakota State
Bears shut out the Jackrabbits in game two

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor softball split its Wednesday night doubleheader against South Dakota State at Getterman Stadium, falling to the Jackrabbits, 5-2, in game one and shutting them out, 3-0, in game two.

The Bears, now 19-5 on the season, scored two runs late in game one but couldn’t rally back before their bats came to life in game two.

THE RUNDOWN
South Dakota State jumped out to the early 1-0 lead in the first game, plating an unearned run in the top of the first.

The Jackrabbits added a four-spot in the third to extend the lead to 5-0 after a couple bases-loaded walks and a sacrifice fly.

With the five-run deficit, the Bears battled back in the bottom of the sixth, plating two runs after a bases-loaded hit by pitch and a single from Sydney Collazos.

The rally fell short after McKenzie Wilson drew a lead-off walk in the bottom of the seventh when a double play and pop up ended the game.

South Dakota State threatened early in game two, but it was the Bears who plated the first run.

After three walks loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the first inning, Emily Hott singled to left field to score Wilson from third.

After a 1-2-3 inning for both sides in the second, Amber Toven and Shaylon Govan both got on base with two out before Hott singled again to fill the bases. Taylor Strain then singled to left field and brought home Toven for the Bears’ second run of the game.

SDSU loaded the bases in the top of the fifth, but a strikeout from Dariana Orme ended the Jackrabbits’ threat.

In the bottom of the fifth, Govan blasted her sixth home run of the season over the wall in right-center field to give the Bears the 3-0 lead and the victory over SDSU.

HIGHLIGHTS
All of the Bears runs in game two were scored with two outs.

Emily Hott was 3-for-4 on the day with two RBIs and a double. She led the Bears in hits, while six other Bears also added to the hit total.

Sydney Collazos was 2-for-3 in game one with an RBI. Collazos and Hott were the only two Bears with a multi-hit performance on the day.

Dariana Orme pitched a complete game in game two, striking out nine and only allowing two hits.

Shaylon Govan hit her team-leading sixth home run of the season.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Glenn Moore
“As a coach, you want to challenge them for that turnaround. And we’ve been defending our home field pretty well this year and been very proud how we’ve done that. We’ve been in a slump over the last few games. We were hoping to turn that around in Game 1 and get it headed in the right direction. Didn’t happen in Game 1, so I challenged them a little bit out there. And I liked the way they responded. You can’t expect them to come back after playing that poorly and run-rule a team that good. But we were able to play a solid game and get outstanding pitching from Dari. Have to be happy with what they’ve done.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears are scheduled for a three-game series against Houston at Getterman Stadium, March 17-19. Game one will be Friday, March 17, at 6:00 p.m. CT.

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>