Helton Electric in Baylor Baseball’s Series-Opening Loss to YSU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 3 23:36:30 CST 2023

Helton Electric in Baylor Baseball’s Series-Opening Loss to YSU
Fifth-year senior strikes out career-high 11 as Penguins steal series opener

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball’s fifth-year senior ace Blake Helton was electric with a career-high 11 strikeouts, but Youngstown State stole a 7-5 series opener Friday night at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

Helton started 25 of the 27 batters he faced with a first-pitch strike, and worked a career high-tying seven innings, punching out 11 – the most by a Baylor pitcher since Paul Dickens fanned 12 at Kansas on March 30, 2019.

The Penguins (2-7) used a two-out rally in the top of the ninth to score five unanswered runs, charging out of a 5-2 hole to steal the 7-5 ballgame. The Bears (2-7) were a strike away from claiming the victory when YSU cashed in with a pinch-hit, two-run single to climb within a run. Then, back-to-back run-scoring doubles put YSU in front for good.

THE RUNDOWN
In what looked like a pitcher’s duel through the first six innings, neither Helton nor Youngstown State’s Travis Perry seemed to budge. But, it was the Bears who struck first, taking advantage of a two-out YSU error to score the game’s first run in the bottom of the third. Hunter Teplanszky reached on a Penguin fielding blunder that allowed Austin Stracener to come around and touch the plate for the early 1-0 lead.

Helton was in cruise control, striking out two batters in four-straight frames from the second through the fifth, before YSU plated its first run in the top of the sixth. After two singles started the inning, Helton notched his 10th punchout ahead of a game-tying sacrifice fly. Then, freshman catcher Zach Mazoch nailed a would-be basestealer to end the threat.

YSU would take the lead in the top of the seventh following a failed pickoff attempt that allowed a runner to advance to third, who later scored on a foul pop out that went for a sacrifice fly. Trailing 2-1, Baylor responded in the bottom of the inning with a two-out, two-run triple off the bat of junior Kobe Andrade to retake a 3-2 advantage.

In the bottom of the eighth, freshman outfielder Caleb Bergman delivered what appeared to be the insurance BU needed in the form of a two-run double, the first hit of his collegiate career, to extend the Bears’ lead to 5-2.

However, the Penguins rallied in the top of the ninth to score five runs, all with two outs, and steal the win on Baylor’s home field.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 1-1 all-time against Horizon League opponents.
• This is the seventh time in nine games that Baylor pitchers have eclipsed double-digit strikeouts.
• BU’s 13 punchouts on the mound tied a season high.
• The Bears stole a season-high three bases against the Penguins, a feat in which the team only accomplished three times in 2022.
• Fifth-year senior RHP Blake Helton set a career high with 11 strikeouts.
• Helton’s 11 K’s were the most by a Baylor pitcher since Paul Dickens fanned 12 at Kansas on March 30, 2019.
• Helton also matched his personal best by going seven innings on the mound.
• Junior LHP/OF Kobe Andrade collected his third triple of the season. Seven of his nine hits this year have gone for extra bases.
• Andrade also notched his second multi-hit and first multi-RBI game of the year.
• Andrade, freshman INF Kolby Branch and redshirt freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski each swiped their first career bag.
• Brzozowski walked four times, becoming the first Bear to do so since Antonio Valdez on May 1, 2022, against Texas Tech.
• Freshman OF Caleb Bergman tallied his first-career hit, a two-run double.
• Bergman became the sixth different Bear to drive in multiple runs in a game this season.

STAT OF THE GAME
11 – Blake Helton’s 11 strikeouts were the most by a Bear in the last four seasons.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On tonight’s game…
"I thought Blake Helton threw the ball really well and put us in position to win a game. We had some big hits in the seventh and eighth innings to take the lead, and I was disappointed we couldn’t finish it off. Youngstown State, I give them all the credit in the world. They came out, they competed hard, they put good swings on the ball, and there’s nothing else we could do. It all starts in the middle of the field and when we get tougher, we’re going to win some games. Until we do that, we’re not.”

Fifth-year senior RHP Blake Helton
On his performance…
"I felt like I had command over all of my pitches. Great defense behind me tonight, really played a big factor. When you have confidence in your teammates behind you, you’re not afraid to throw pitches over the plate. That’s why I had so many strikeouts tonight, just had confidence in my teammates. [Getting ahead in the count] was a big focus for me this week. I know if I get ahead, good things will happen.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (2-7) and Youngstown State (2-7) return for a scheduled doubleheader on Saturday, March 4. Game one is set for 2:00 p.m., while game two’s start time will be approximately one hour after the conclusion of game one.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)