No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Pushes No. 1 SMU, Falls 10-8

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 2 16:43:42 CST 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Pushes No. 1 SMU, Falls 10-8
Bears’ comeback falls short after scoring seven second-half points

WACO, Texas – No. 8 Baylor equestrian (5-7, 2-3) pushed No. 1 SMU (9-1) to the brink on Thursday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center, but ultimately came up short, 10-8.

The Bears won seven of the 10 second-half points to rally from a 7-1 deficit, but couldn’t complete the Senior Day comeback.

Jumping Seat senior Maddie Vorhies scored an 87 in Flat to garner her first Most Outstanding Performer award of the season, while Reining senior Andie Pratt notched a 74 on the way to her second MOP of the year.

THE RUNDOWN
After a short lightning delay, the action began simultaneously with Fences and Horsemanship. The Mustangs got out to a 7-1 lead with a 3-0 sweep in Fences and a 4-1 victory in Horsemanship. Baylor’s lone point came from sophomore Alexis Rutledge’s 74 on Nona, while freshman Lauren Jorgensen tied her matchup with an 85, as did fellow freshman Lauren Reid with an 82.

Following the halftime pause, the Bears came out on fire with a 4-1 win in Flat. Dominika Silvestri’s 70, Madison Mitchell’s 74, Molly Canfield’s 76 and Maddie Vorhies’ 87 all put points on the board for BU. Meanwhile in Reining, Baylor edged SMU with a 3-2 event win, thanks in part to points from Shelby Clausen (70), Daisy Kaufman (72) and Andie Pratt (74). SMU won their only two Reining tallies by half a point each, narrowly escaping Waco with the win.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor’s Flat squad picked up its seventh event win in a row.
• BU’s Reining team has now won six of its last seven events.
• Senior Maddie Vorhies collected her first-career Flat MOP, and the fourth MOP of her career overall.
• Vorhies hasn’t lost in seven of her last eight Flat rides.
• Senior Andie Pratt earned her third-career MOP in Reining, and second of the season.
• Senior Dominika Silvestri improved to 10-2 on the year in Flat, becoming the first Bear to reach 10 wins in any event this year.
• Junior Shelby Clausen has now won five of her last six Reining rides.
• Junior Madison Mitchell boasts a six-meet winning streak in Flat.
• Sophomore Alexis Rutledge is unbeaten in seven of her last eight Horsemanship rides.

STAT OF THE MEET
7 – Baylor won seven second-half points to push the Mustangs with a late comeback bid.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On her team’s effort against the No. 1 team in the country…
“We were tested again in all four events, and I hated that it came down so much to the second half, but I appreciate the fight and the resilience that this team has shown. I just keep going back to how I know we’ll get it together across the board, and that day is coming for sure. But I thought our team was really strong today. We were pretty minimal in our mistakes and really strong in a lot of places. I’m very proud of them.”

On this senior class…
“It’s been a great ride with these ones and we’ve been through a lot with this class. It’s a pretty special group to my heart, and we have six super-seniors who got to stick it out and stay for an extra bonus year. I just really appreciate all of them. They’ve left a big mark on this program, they’ve set the bar really, really high, so it’s going to be hard to follow.”

Jumping Seat senior Maddie Vorhies
On her final ride at home and her overall experience at Baylor…
“It was an unreal experience, just so much fun to have everybody right behind me. I honestly don’t know how to describe it, it was so exciting. [Being a Bear] has honestly been one of the greatest privileges of my entire life. The institution itself is absolutely incredible. The team has been unreal. Baylor really shaped me into the person I am today.”

Reining senior Andie Pratt
On her MOP-winning ride…
“It was just really exciting to be surrounded by my teammates here at home one last time , to get to ride in the outdoor one last time. It was very sad, but I’m excited for the future of this team and am looking forward to the postseason.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. Baylor (5-7, 2-3) heads north to Fort Worth on Saturday, March 4, to take on No. 3 TCU (10-2, 3-2). First ride is set for 10 a.m. CT.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)