Baylor WT Opens ITA Kickoff Weekend with 4-1 Win over LMU

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 27 19:22:26 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 27, 2023

Baylor WT Opens ITA Kickoff Weekend with 4-1 Win over LMU
The Bears moved to 5-0 on the year with Friday’s victory

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

AUSTIN, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team remained undefeated, picking up its fifth win of the year, with a 4-1 victory over Loyola Marymount (2-2) on Friday in the opening round of the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Texas Tennis Center in Austin.

“We thought the team did a good job of focusing on what was most important for us to get an edge in today’s match,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “Our preparation showed and paid off on a lot of the courts today. We need to just continue to grow as a team and keep leaning on our system as a unit. The results will continue to come the more consistent we are in the process.”

The duo of Paula Barañano and Danielle Dimitrov picked up their second doubles win of the season with a 6-2 decision on No. 1, before Isabella Harvison and Danielle Tuhten secured the doubles point for Baylor with a 6-1 win at the No. 3 position.

Tuhten picked up her fifth singles victory of the season to give Baylor an early 2-0 lead in the match, before LMU responded with a win on No. 5.

After falling behind at the end of the first set, Barañano fought back in sets two and three to pick up the win on No. 4 to push the Bears back ahead by two. For the second-straight match, Anita Sahdiieva clinched the victory for Baylor, topping LMU’s Sofia Munera, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.

With the win, the Bears are set to take on the top-ranked Texas Longhorns on Saturday at 2 p.m. to wrap up action at the ITA Kickoff Weekend. Live stats<http://sidearmstats.com/texas/wtennis/xlive.htm?xd_co_f=NmY4NDJjMTgtYjYwMC00NjUzLWEwNDItY2Y4MTFiNWIzOWI3> and a live video stream<https://texassports.com/sports/2018/2/8/texas-tennis-center-live-video.aspx> are available for fans to follow along.

RESULTS

Singles

No. 1 –Alina Shcherbinina vs. Stefania Rogozinska: 6-4, 4-6, 0-1, unfinished

No. 2 – Isabella Harvison vs. Eva Marie Voracek: 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, unfinished

No. 3 – Anita Sahdiieva def. Sofia Munera: 7-6 (7-5), 6-1

No. 4 – Paula Barañano vs. Isabella Tcherkes-Za: 2-6, 6-1, 6-2

No. 5 – Anna Paradisi def. Daniella Dimitrov: 6-2, 6-3

No. 6 – Danielle Tuhten def. Kim-Michaela Zahraj: 6-3, 6-0

Doubles

No. 1 – Paula Barañano/Daniella Dimitrov def. Sofia Munera/Isabella Tcherkes-Za, 6-2

No. 2 – Alina Shcherbinina/Anita Sahdiieva vs. Stefania Rogozinska/Anna Paradisi, unfinished

No. 3 – Isabella Harvison/Danielle Tuhten def. Eva Marie Voracek/Kim-Michaela Zahraj, 6-1

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)