Baylor WT Hosts Four Matches in Three Days to Kick Off Spring Slate

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:50:53 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 20, 2023

Baylor WT Hosts Four Matches in Three Days to Kick Off Spring Slate
The Bears welcome Houston, UTRGV, Rice and DePaul to Waco

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – A loaded spring schedule for the Baylor women’s tennis team launches at home this weekend, when the Bears host four matches in the span of three days beginning on Saturday.

Baylor will kick off its season against Houston at 12 p.m. on Saturday, before taking on UTRGV in the nightcap at 6 p.m. The Bears return to action on Monday for a pair of dual matches against Rice (10 a.m.) and DePaul (2 p.m.).

“Every year is a new challenge,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We’ve got a really young team, and there’s always challenges with that, but I think it’s going to be a good year, so it will be a lot of fun. A lot of the competition in the fall, you have two to three, four matches in a day. So, our team is prepared for that challenge this weekend and we will see where we stand afterwards.”

This will be the second time in three years the Bears have started their spring season at home. The 2023 spring campaign marks year No. 21 for Scrivano, who has won a combined 19 Big 12 Conference championships between regular season and tournament titles. Baylor has a 10-member squad this year, led by fifth-year senior Paula Barañano, who went 21-8 in singles action last season. Sophomore Alina Shcherbinina also brings back a wealth of experience, as she posted a 25-5 singles record as a rookie and was a member of the 2022 Big 12 All-Freshman Team.

All four matches are set to take place at the Hurd Tennis Center. If there is inclement weather, the matches will move down the street to the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center. Live stats<http://www.sidearmstats.com/baylor/wten/?xd_co_f=NmY4NDJjMTgtYjYwMC00NjUzLWEwNDItY2Y4MTFiNWIzOWI3> and a live video stream<https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/9/18/tennis-playsight> are available for fans who are unable to attend.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)