Baylor T&F Readies for MLK Invite

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 20 14:51:39 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 20, 2023

Baylor T&F Readies for MLK Invite
Bears cross state lines with nine national marks
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Baylor track and field makes its first trip across state lines in the 2023 season to compete at the Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational on Saturday at the Albuquerque Convention Center, the site of the 2023 NCAA Indoor National Championships in March.

“We ran well [at the Corky Classic],” said head coach Michael Ford. “I think the biggest thing that we talked about going into it was just giving good effort and just competing. As coaches, we see them working out every day and we feel good about certain people, how they look in practice, and then when the lights come on people shy away from it. But we stepped up really well. This week in New Mexico, a lot of our athletes probably won’t run any relays. We’ll just focus on getting some national marks individually. And then Monday is the first ranking for us, so we’ll see where we’re ranked next week.”

With just the marks established at the Corky Classic, the Bears currently have nine national-qualifying (top-16 nationally) marks in the books and look to continue building.

The men’s 4x400-meter relay that ran in Lubbock currently sit No. 2 with an altitude-adjusted 3:05.30 in the event. Their original time of 3:04.86 sets them at No. 9 all-time in program history and rests at the top of the world rankings, which do not adjust for altitude.

The 200-meter leaderboard features four Bears, with Demar Francis, Matthew Moorer and Laurenz Colbert represent the men, while Kavia Francis’ PR of 23.50 puts her at No. 5 in the nation.

Imaobong Uko (400m), Alexis Brown (long jump) and the 4x400-meter relay round out those ranked on the women’s side, while Ben Conacher finds spot No. 11 in the pole vault ranks.

The MLK Invitation is one last resume booster before the first round of team rankings are released on Monday, Jan. 23 by USTFCCCA.

FloTrack will be streaming the meet and live results will be provided online by liverunningresults.com<http://liverunningresults.com/>.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor track and field, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorTrack.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)