Harvison Picks Up Eighth Win of the Season in Setback to Huskies

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 24 22:47:59 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 24, 2023

Harvison Picks Up Eighth Win of the Season in Setback to Huskies
The Bears drop to 7-5 on the year with the loss

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team (7-5) fell to the Washington Huskies (7-3), 5-2, at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center on Friday evening.

“When it comes to scheduling, our philosophy has been we need to play the toughest schedule that our team can handle,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We are handling it pretty well and have been competing in every match this season from start to finish. The score isn’t going our way, but ultimately if we keep showing up and battling, and making improvements across the board, we know that it will start to turn in our favor.”

Isabella Harvison and Anita Sahdiieva defeated Zehra Suko and Hikaru Sato on No. 1 doubles, 6-2, before the Huskies took court three, 6-2. It came down to Alina Shcherbinina and Paula Baranano on No. 2, as the Bears outlasted Astrid Olsen and Jennifer Kerr, 7-6 (2), in the tiebreaker to earn the doubles point for Baylor.

Washington quickly jumped ahead 2-1 in the match with wins on No. 4 and No. 6 in singles action. The Huskies separated themselves with a 7-5, 6-2 victory on court No. 3, before Melissa Sakar slid past Baranano in three sets, 6-1, 2-6, 7-5, to clinch the match for Washington.

Play continued as the Huskies jumped out to a 5-1 advantage with a win at No. 1 singles, before Harvison earned her eighth win of the season with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 victory on court No. 2.

“Isabella (Harvison) is a fighter, and she has that competitive spirit about her,” Scrivano said. “She never gives up and she’s been having a great season. We’re really proud of what she’s done so far and what she will do in the future.”

The Bears return to action on Saturday, March 4, at No. 19 Arizona State.

RESULTS

Singles

No. 1 – Hikaru Sato def. #109 Alina Shcherbinina: 6-1, 6-7 (2), 6-3

No. 2 – #94 Isabella Harvison def. Sarah-Maude Fortin: 6-3, 3-6, 6-4

No. 3 – Astrid Olson def. Anita Sahdiieva: 7-5, 6-2

No. 4 – #100 Jennifer Kerr def. Liubov Kostenko: 6-4, 6-1

No. 5 – Melissa Sakar def. Paula Barañano: 6-1, 2-6, 7-5

No. 6 – Erika Matsuda def. Daniella Dimitrov: 7-5, 6-2

Doubles

No. 1 – Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva def. Zehra Suko/Hikaru Sato: 6-2

No. 2 – Alina Shcherbinina/Paula Barañano def. Astrid Olson/Jennifer Kerr: 7-6(2)

No. 3 – Sarah-Maude Fortin/Erika Matsuda def. Liubov Kostenko/Brooke Thompson: 6-2

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)