Baylor Softball Shuts Out Army, 7-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 19 19:28:02 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 19, 2023

Baylor Softball Shuts Out Army, 7-0
Bears backed by career day from Crandall

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore (254.252.2182; katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>)

WACO, Texas – After knocking off the No. 1 team in the nation, Baylor softball two-hit Army, defeating the Black Knights, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears (8-1) opened the scoring with a four-run first inning, then added three more in the second before making wholesale substitutions. Freshman pitcher RyLee Crandall took a no-hitter into the fourth and notched a career-high 11 strikeouts in six innings of work against the Black Knights (2-7).

At 8-1, Baylor is off to its best start to a season since 2018, when the Bears got out to a perfect 9-0 start.

STAT OF THE GAME

McKenzie Wilson was a perfect 2-for-2 at the plate to improve to 9-for-13 on the weekend. The Bears totaled nine hits in the outing, with extra base hits from Wilson and Aliyah Binford.

The Bears shined in the circle, with Crandall tossing a career-high 11 strikeouts, surpassing her previous best of seven earlier this year at UNLV. Kaci West relived Crandall in the seventh inning, and the pair only allowed two hits and one walk.

Adding speed on the bases, the Bears totaled five stolen bases in the outing, with Emily Hott recording two of them.

THE RUNDOWN

Army was retired in order during the first two innings, until an error in the third got one Black Knight aboard. Their first hit didn’t come until the fourth inning and was a single up the middle.

The Bears plated four in the first and three in the second to go up 7-0 early. Army reliever Breanna Izzo came on in the middle of the second inning and sat down the last 13 batters in a row.

Baylor had 17 different players see action in the final game of the Getterman Classic.

QUOTABLE

Head Coach Glenn Moore

“So proud for the girls to put in that kind of work, off-season work, and just believing in themselves to turn the corner and kind of revive this thing a little bit. A big booster shot right there to even compete with a team that’s so dominant when they play most teams.”

Shaylon Govan

“It means a lot to us. We’ve always known that since the fall that there was something with this team that was special. We work hard day in and day out. We’re just ready to compete. We know that we’re a good team and we’re happy to put Baylor on the map. We’re trying to get us back to the Women’s College World Series. So, that’s the plan.”

Dariana Orme

“I think this team is just rolling. We’re having a great weekend right now. We’re having a great weekend. Glory be to God for what we’re able to do here because literally none of this is possible without Him. So, it’s been a phenomenal weekend for sure.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will host the Baylor Invitational next weekend at Getterman Stadium and play host to Minnesota, Maryland and Texas A&M Commerce.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>