No. 1 Baylor A&T Blows Past No. 14 Presbyterian

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 19 18:37:14 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 19, 2023

No. 1 Baylor A&T Blows Past No. 14 Presbyterian
Bears earn 30.68-point win over PC on Sunday afternoon in Ferrell

For more information contact: Madelon Allen; 254-252-7168, madelon_allen at baylor.edu<mailto:madelon_allen at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 1 Baylor acrobatics & tumbling took the meet, 274.055 – 243.375, over Presbyterian on Sunday afternoon in the Ferrell Center by 30.68 points.

The Bears (3-0) faced the Blue Hose (0-2) for just the second time in program history and the first time on their home turf, improving the series to 2-0 in BU’s favor.

THE RUNDOWN

BU overtook Presbyterian in every event, not dropping a single heat to PC.

Starting off the meet, Baylor’s compulsory scores were all 9.35 and above, the highest coming from Toss at 9.85. PC’s highest score was also in Toss with a score of 9.50. Going into the Acro Event, the Bears led the Blue Hose, 38.40 to 34.65.

Moving into the optional portion of the meet, Baylor had a score of 9.90 in Heat 1, 9.85 in Heat 2 and 9.85 in Heat 3 of Acro to total 29.60 for the event. PC had a 9.3, 9.0 and 9.3 for 27.60. Going into the Pyramid event, BU was up 68.00 to 62.25.

BU had its third perfect 10.0 in as many meets, this time in the synchronized second heat, with Emily Tobin and Kamryn Kitchens as the tops and with Riley Chimwala and Bayley Humphrey as their respective mid-level bases. The first heat earned a 9.85 while the third earned a 9.95. The running total was updated to 97.80 for Baylor. The Blue Hose totaled 26.10 for the event and had 88.35 going into the half.

In the Toss Event, Baylor had scores of 9.6, 9.65 and 9.85, respectively, to total 29.10 for the event. PC scored an 8.80, 7.80 and 8.40, respectively, to total 25.00. Going into the fifth event, Tumbling, the Bears were up 126.80 to the 113.350 from the Blue Hose.

In the Tumbling Event, Heat 1 (Duo) saw senior Kitchens and sophomore Aliyah Kaloostian compete and score a 9.70. In the Trio Heat (Heat 2), Kristen McCain, Alyiah Thomas and Emi Nelson scored a 9.25. The Quad Pass (Heat 3) had Katie Shiffer, Gianna Cameron, Savanna Cecil and Emily Tobin score a 9.00. Kitchens competed the Aerial Pass (Heat 4), scoring an impressive 9.90. McCain competed the 6 Element pass (Heat 5) scoring a 9.85. The Open pass (Heat 6) was competed by freshman Cecil, scoring a 9.825. The Bears’ total came to 57.525 for the heat while PC scored a 46.925. Going into the day’s final event, BU was up 184.325 – 160.275 on the Blue Hose.

In the Team Event, Baylor earned a score of 89.73 while Presbyterian earned an 83.10, bringing the meet score to a total of 774.055 to 243.375, BU taking the win.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor extends its win streak to 19 meets in a row
  *   The Bears didn’t drop a single heat to the Blue Hose
  *   BU outscored Presbyterian by 30.68 points

STAT OF THE MEET

  *   Baylor earned a perfect 10.0 in the synchronized Pyramid Heat 2, the third meet in a row with a perfect heat in the event

QUOTABLE: Head Coach Felecia Mulkey

“There’s a lot I’m proud of but we have some tweaks to make. We have some time off before our next meet that will do us some good, but I think we’re right where we need to be heading to Oregon in a few weeks. I think the judges got it right in Pyramid, I couldn’t find anything wrong with heat two, but it’s hard to make two groups be perfectly in sync. We moved the lineup around in tumbling and I thought they did a great job. We have some more in our arsenal I’m looking forward to tapping into.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears head northwest to face Oregon at the Matthew Knight Center on March 8 for an 8pm CT start time in Eugene, Ore.

To stay up to date all year long on all things Baylor acrobatics & tumbling, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorAcroTumb.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com