No. 18 Baylor WGOLF Heads West for the T. Hession Regional Challenge

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 11 09:44:50 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 11, 2023

No. 18 Baylor WGOLF Heads West for the T. Hession Regional Challenge
BU is coming off a dominant win in its last event
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

PALOS VERDES ESTATES, Calif. – Baylor women's golf will return to action for a second time in as many weeks, when they compete in the Therese Hession Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes Golf Club.

In its last event, Baylor blew away a strong field by 10 shots at the Collegiate Invitational, with standout individual performances by Rosie Belsham, who collected her first-career win; and Silje Ohma, who notched the best finish of her career (third). Head coach Jay Goble is excited to carry that momentum with them into another deep field in California.

“I’m happy with how we played last week, especially Rosie and Silje,” he said. “They played well from beginning to end and we followed their lead. We just need to keep that momentum rolling. We will get some tremendous experience on a difficult golf course again, and like last week, this course will require us to be patient, smart and plot our way around.”

Belsham will lead things off for the Bears at the No. 1 spot again this week. Last week, the junior saved her best for last, shooting a career-best 66 in the final round to take home individual medalist honors by one shot.

Ohma will look to continue her recent form out of the No. 2 spot. In four rounds this spring, the freshman is carrying a team-best stroke average of 70.00 with two rounds in the 60s.

Returning to the lineup for the first time this spring is Sera Hasegawa, who will play at No. 3. The stroke-average leader from the fall missed the last two events with a minor injury, but is back, and Goble is excited for the spring that is in front of her.

“We're really excited to get Sera back into the lineup,” he said. “She's feeling good, ready to go and excited to start playing again, and I feel she's going to have a really good spring.”

Anika Veintemilla will play at No. 4. The senior has placed in the top-25 in each of her last two events. Prior to this season, her best finish was a tie for 35th.

Hannah Karg will make her third-straight start as a member of the lineup and will play at No. 5. Following a tie for 18th in Guadalajara, the senior moved into the top-10 in program history in career stroke average.

BU will go off the 10th tee in round one, grouped with Texas, Florida and Kentucky. Karg will be first off at 11:00 a.m. CT, followed by Veintemilla at 11:12 a.m. Hasegawa will tee off at 11:24 a.m., just ahead of Ohma at 11:36 a.m. Belsham will play out of the anchor position at 11:48 a.m.

Live scoring and stats are available throught the tournament at Golfstat.com.<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=26555> For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

—BaylorBears.com—

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MBB/MGOLF/ WGOLF/)