No. 18 Arizona Takes Friday Night Win Over No. 10 Baylor MT, 5-2

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 10 22:01:23 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 10, 2023

No. 18 Arizona Takes Friday Night Win Over No. 10 Baylor MT, 5-2
Paroulek leads team with six singles victories
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis lost the last match of its homestand on Friday night, 5-2, to No. 18 Arizona at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

BU (5-4) featured two three-set wins from Tadeas Paroulek on Court One and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi on Court Five.

THE RUNDOWN

Arizona started the night with a 6-1 win from Gustaf Strom and Herman Hoeyeraal over a Bear duo playing together for the first time this season, Christopher Frantzen and Grassi Mazzuchi. The Wildcats clinched the doubles point on Court Two after Colton Smith and Jared Horwood got a 6-2 win over Luc Koenig and Ethan Muza.

Freshman Zsombor Velcz recorded only his first loss of the season in singles, as junior Gustaf Strom got a 6-1, 6-2 win on Court Three. Point No. 3 for the Wildcats came from No. 120 Jay Friend taking a 6-2, 6-4 win over Muza.

Arizona clinched the match with a three setter from No. 98 Hoeyeraal, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1, over Koenig.

The Bears fought back with three-set victories on Court One and Five, with No. 117 Paroulek defeating No. 22 Jonas Ziverts, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-6), and No. 125 Grassi Mazzuchi beating No. 85 Nick Lageav, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-6).

The last point of the night came from Court Two, where 78-ranked Colton Smith beat Marko Miladinović, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Wednesday’s match…

“I’m sure we’re mentally tired, but physically we’re in a really good spot. The staff is doing a good job of preparing them to play. The tough schedule certainly took its toll at the beginning of the match, and tons of credit to Arizona. They came out with great energy, they played a solid doubles point, they backed that up with six first sets. The thing I felt the best about was that we just didn’t go away. Every second set score was better than the first. We kept playing, we kept fighting. Sure, we didn’t turn every set, but we turned enough of them, and I was pleased to see the resiliency we were asking for – especially after the doubles. It took a while, but I’m really pleased to see that from the guys. I know that they really enjoy playing in front of such a great crowd, that was awesome. It’s all amazing. I think they did a good job of not getting down on themselves.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears take a road trip to face No. 1 Ohio State on Tuesday before the ITA Indoor Team Championships in Chicago beginning Friday, Feb. 17.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)