No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Splits California Contests

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 4 19:29:11 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 4, 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian Splits California Contests
Bears crush Crookston over two days, fall to Bulldogs on Saturday

FRESNO, Calif. – No. 8 Baylor equestrian (5-5, 2-2) split a pair of weekend meets in California with a win over Minnesota Crookston (0-6) and a loss to Fresno State (2-6, 1-3) at the Student Horse Center in Fresno, Calif.

The Bears defeated the Golden Eagles, 10-3, in a meet that began on Friday and concluded on Saturday, then dropped a 13-4 contest against the Bulldogs in Saturday’s nightcap.

Jumping Seat sophomore Annie Vorhies picked up two Most Outstanding Performer honors in the win against UMN Crookston with an 89 in Flat and a 66 in Fences. Reining junior Shelby Clausen also MOP’d with a 72.5 on Pep.

THE RUNDOWN – vs. UMN Crookston
The action started on Friday afternoon in Flat and Reining as the Bears got out to a quick 5-0 lead. Three points on the Flat from Lauren Reid (71), Dominika Silvestri (83) and Vorhies (89) combined with a pair from Clausen (72.5) and Madaline Callaway (67.5) in Reining to give BU the early advantage.

When play resumed on Saturday morning, the Bears breezed to a 3-1 win in Horsemanship and 2-2 tie in Fences to close out the meet. A pair of 76’s from Gabrielle Marty and Alexis Rutledge highlighted the action in the Western ring, along with Nadalee Vasquez’s 75. Meanwhile, Vorhies collected a seven-point victory and her second MOP of the day in addition to Reid’s point-winning 81.

THE RUNDOWN – at Fresno State
After a short break in between meets, Baylor was back at it against the Bulldogs but found themselves in an early hole, as FS jumped out to a 9-0 halftime lead after Fences and Horsemanship.

The Bears showed some fight in the second half, as Madison Mitchell (86), Annie Vorhies (86) and Maddie Vorhies (78) put up points in Flat in a 3-2 event win. Callaway and Andie Pratt tied their matchups in Reining, though Jenna Meimerstorf got BU on the board with a career-high 77.5 in the last ride of the event.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor’s Flat squad has now won five events in a row.
• Sophomore Annie Vorhies put down an 89 in Flat against UMN Crookston, one point shy of her season and team-high score.
• Vorhies collected her third and fourth Most Outstanding Performer honors of the season, including her third in Flat and first in Fences.
• Junior Shelby Clausen earned her second MOP of the year in Reining and fifth of her career.
• Senior Gabrielle Marty scored a season-high 76 in Horsemanship.
• Sophomore Alexis Rutledge is riding a five-ride streak with scores of at least 76 in Horsemanship.
• Four Western riders scored career highs against Fresno State, including Jenna Meimerstorf (77.5), Madaline Callaway (76.5), Marley Mainwaring (76.5) and Shelby Clausen (76).

STAT OF THE MEET
4 – Prior to the Fresno State meet, Baylor had won its fourth straight contest, and fifth in its last six outings, a program most under Casie Maxwell.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On this weekend’s meets…
“This was a weekend full of highs and lows for our team. There are great things to take away from our performances at a tough place to compete. We were challenged today by Fresno State and we gave to credit them for really strong rides in all four disciplines. Our team knows there’s a lot of season left and I fully expect them to bounce back even stronger than they were before this weekend. The best part is still in front of us.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 8 Baylor (5-5, 2-2) returns home to host No. 6 Oklahoma State (2-3, 2-1) on Saturday, Feb. 18, at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco. First ride is scheduled for 11 a.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)