Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Texas A&M, 1-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Aug 26 23:59:59 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 26, 2023

Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Texas A&M, 1-1
Merrill nets her first goal of the season

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Baylor soccer recorded a 1-1 draw against Texas A&M Saturday night at Ellis Field with the 9th largest regular season crowd in NCAA women’s soccer history in attendance.

The Bears were able to create pressure early in front of the 6,743 fans, scoring in the 16th minute and taking that lead into halftime. Leading point scorer from the 2023 season, Ashley Merrill laced together her first goal of the season on a through pass from Tyler Isgrig.

The Baylor defense and goalkeeper Ashlee Zirkel held the Aggie offense at bay in first half, as Texas A&M got off 12 shots and forced Zirkel to make three saves.

Skylar Zinnecker got a shot off in the 26th minute that led the Bears to back-to-back-to-back corner kicks but BU wasn’t able to capitalize off of the chances.

With the second half underway, Zirkel picked up where she left off recording a save in the 47th minute. She ended the night with five saves off of 22 shots.

Zinnecker created more chances for the Bears in the second half, once in the 63rd minute and later in the 83rd minute that forced the Texas A&M goalkeeper into a save but she wasn’t able to put one away.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears had 15 players see action
  *   Ashley Merrill scored her first goal of the season
  *   Tyler Isgrig recorded her first assist of the season
  *   BU is now 4-14-3 all time against the Aggies
  *   Skye Leach made her second career start, her first of the 2023 season
  *   Skylar Zinnecker led the way with three shots, while Merrill and Hannah Boughton had one apiece
  *   Ashlee Zirkel made her first career start, totaling five saves while facing 22 shots
QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Really, really proud of our team. We set our mind to coming out today and playing the game that we wanted to play. From the kickoff, we didn’t want to let the crowd or the environment or a really good team prevent us from playing the way that we wanted to play and we did that from the beginning. Of course, there were momentum shifts throughout the game, they’re a really good team so we expected that, but we got on the ball a ton, we created a fantastic goal with a great finish, it was literally how we drew it up, so we are really proud. We knew we had to be disciplined throughout the game, because either team could’ve scored another goal easily. We hate that is comes down to a penalty, but really proud to get a good result from a great opponent in front of a great crowd. I am just proud of our team for handling this environment so well.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will return home to face Louisiana Tech in their home opener on Thursday, Aug. 31, at 7 p.m. CT.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>