Martins Elevated to Assistant Coach with Baylor Women’s Tennis

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Tue Aug 22 15:06:26 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 22, 2023

Martins Elevated to Assistant Coach with Baylor Women’s Tennis
Martins served as a volunteer assistant coach last season

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor women’s tennis head coach Joey Scrivano announced the promotion of Patricia Martins to assistant coach on Tuesday.

“We are excited to share that Patricia has been promoted to our third coach,” Scrivano said. “Throughout the past year, she has been an amazing asset to our student-athletes as a volunteer assistant coach. Her dedication to learning the game and her outstanding work ethic is impressive. I’m confident in saying that Patricia is one of the most-promising young coaches in our industry. We want to thank Vice President and Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades and President Livingstone for their strong support of Baylor tennis. Their commitment has allowed us to provide an even better experience for our student-athletes by adding this full-time coaching position.”

Martins joined the Baylor women’s tennis program as a volunteer assistant coach in June of 2022. Prior to arriving in Waco, Martins served as an assistant coach at UTSA for the 2021-22 academic year.

A three-year letterwinner at South Alabama, Martins was a graduate assistant for her alma mater during the 2019 and 2021 seasons. In her last year, she helped assist the No. 1-seeded Jaguars at the Sun Belt Championship. While working at South Alabama, the team featured the top-ranked doubles team in the conference and the Sun Belt women’s tennis Player of the Year.

After redshirting the 2016 season, Martins went on to win 52 matches and spent a majority of the 2017 campaign at the No. 1 position in doubles. She was earned second-team All-Sun Belt honors in doubles, and she won all 10 of her singles outings that year.

Martins graduated with a degree in sport management in 2019 after making Jaguar history as the third women’s tennis student-athlete to earn all-district academic honors as a CoSIDA Academic All-District 4 Women’s At-Large Team selection. The Lisbon, Portugal, native earned her master’s degree in business administration from South Alabama in 2022.

“I am so thankful to head coach Joey Scrivano and associate head coach Lenka Broosova for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to be a part of this incredible program,” said Martins. “I am truly excited to be a part of the Baylor tennis family and to work alongside such dedicated coaches and outstanding student-athletes. Together, we will continue to elevate this program to new heights.”

To stay up to date on all things Baylor women’s tennis, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWTennis.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)