Oklahoma Outlasts Baylor WT, 4-2

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 21 21:58:43 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 21, 2023

Oklahoma Outlasts Baylor WT, 4-2
Isabella Harvison picked up a doubles and singles victory for the Bears in the loss

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Baylor women’s tennis (16-13) fell to No. 14 Oklahoma (19-8) on Friday in the Big 12 Championship quarterfinals.

The Bears started off strong in doubles with a 6-4 win by duo Alina Shcherbinina and Brooke Thompson on court three. On No. 1, Paula Barañano and Daniella Dimitrov were edged by #10 Carmen and Ivana Corley, 6-3. Isabella Harvison and Anita Sahdiieva battled for a 6-4 victory over #43 Alexandra Pisavera and Layna Sleeth on No. 2, clinching the doubles point for BU.

In singles, Oklahoma secured the straight-set win on No. 3 to level the score, before taking a 2-1 lead in the match with a 6-4, 6-0 victory on court five. The Sooners extended their advantage with a win on six, but Harvison kept Baylor within reach with a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 4 position to earn her team-leading 16th singles victory of the season.

Oklahoma used a 6-2, 6-1 victory on court two to take the match, 4-2.

“It was a tough match today,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We started off strong, but ultimately, in singles we fell a bit short. Now, we just have to wait for the postseason to unfold with the NCAA Tournament. Overall, it was a good tournament for us this week. There were a lot of lessons learned in our last two matches, and we’ll go back and look at how we can improve, and we will do it.”

RESULTS
Singles
No. 1 – #103 Alina Shcherbinina vs. #52 Layne Sleeth: 4-6, 3-2 (unfinished)
No. 2 – #93 Dana Guzman def. Anita Sahdiieva: 6-2, 6-1
No. 3 – #120 Carmen Corley def. Liubov Kostenko: 6-1, 6-2
No. 4 – #84 Isabella Harvison def. Alexandra Pisareva: 6-2, 6-3
No. 5 – Julia Garcia Ruiz def. Daniella Dimitrov: 6-4, 6-0
No. 6 – Emma Staker def. Paula Barañano: 6-1, 6-3

Doubles
No. 1 – #10 Carmen Corley/Ivana Corley def. Paula Barañano/Daniella Dimitrov: 6-3
No. 2 – Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva def. #43 Alexandra Pisareva/Layne Sleeth: 6-4
No. 3 – Alina Shcherbinina/Brooke Thompson def. Julia Garcia Ruiz/Dana Guzman: 6-4

- BaylorBears.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)