Baylor WT Picks Up 4-2 Win at TCU

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 2 19:03:07 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 2, 2023

Baylor WT Picks Up 4-2 Win at TCU
Kostenko clinched the win for the Bears with a three-set win on No. 4 singles

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

FORT WORTH, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team (12-11, 3-5 Big 12) jumped back in the win column on Sunday with a 4-2 victory against the TCU Horned Frogs (9-7, 1-5 Big 12).

The Horned Frogs jumped on the board first, securing the doubles point with 6-2 and 6-1 wins on No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.

TCU extended its lead with a win on No. 5, but #124 Alina Shcherbinina helped Baylor earn its first point with a 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-2 victory at the No. 1 position. A 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win by #94 Isabella Harvison on No. 3 knotted the score at two-all, before Danielle Dimitrov picked up a victory on court six to push the Bears ahead.

Liubov Kostenko earned her third Big 12 singles victory of the season with a 5-7, 7-6(6) 6-2 decision on No. 4 to clinch the 4-2 win for the Bears.

“We’ve had a lot of matches come down to the wire and this was no exception,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “I’m proud of the team’s focus and resiliency today. A lot of credit to TCU. They came very ready to play and it was a battle on each court. When we have the right spirit, attitude and intentions, we’re a tough team to beat. We’re excited for the girls and the growth we are seeing in each of them as individuals and as a team.”

Baylor will play three matches in three days next weekend, hosting UTSA, New Mexico State and SMU. All contests will be played at the Hurd Tennis Center and admission is free for all fans.

RESULTS
Singles
No. 1 – #124 Alina Shcherbinina def. Tiphanie Lemaitre: 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-2
No. 2 – Anita Sahdiieva vs. #123 Mercedes Aristegui: 6-4, 4-6, 4-2 (unfinished)
No. 3 – #94 Isabella Harvison def. Jade Otway: 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
No. 4 – Liubov Kostenko def. Yu-Chin Tsai: 5-7(6), 7-6, 6-2
No. 5 – Destinee Martins def. Paula Barañano: 7-6(5), 6-4
No. 6 – Daniella Dimitrov def. Helena Narmont: 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(4)

Doubles
No. 1 – Daniella Dimitrov/Paula Barañano vs. #76 Helena Narmont/Yu-Chin Tsai: 3-5 (unfinished)
No. 2 – Jade Otway/Mercedes Aristegui def. Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva: 6-2
No. 3 – Destinee Martins/Tiphanie Lemaitre def. Alina Shcherbinina/Brooke Thompson: 6-1

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)