No. 21 Baylor Softball Records Series Win Over Kansas

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 1 21:24:35 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 1, 2023

No. 21 Baylor Softball Records Series Win Over Kansas
Bears win both games of the Saturday doubleheader to take the series

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor Softball defeated Kansas 3-1 in game one and 4-0 in game two to take the series win over the Jayhawks Saturday afternoon at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears, now 27-9 on the season and 2-4 in conference play, bounced back after falling to Kansas in game one to secure the 2-1 series victory.

After deciding to play a doubleheader due to incoming inclement weather, Baylor only allowed six Jayhawk hits and one unearned run.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears came out swinging in game one. After a leadoff walk from McKenzie Wilson, Amber Toven doubled to left-center putting two on for Shaylon Govan who was intentionally walked. With the bases loaded, Sydney Collazos reached on a fielder’s choice and brought home Toven from third.

After retiring the Jayhawks in order for the second-straight inning, the Bears capitalized on a bases-loaded bottom of the second. Zadie LaValley walked before Pilon reached on a fielder’s choice, as pinch-runner Caroline Rowatt was also safe on the play due to a dropped ball. With two on, Taylor Strain reached on a catcher’s interference call and Wilson hit a sacrifice fly to deep centerfield that brought home Rowatt.

Starting pitcher RyLee Crandall and the Bears’ defense sat the Jayhawks down in order again in the top of the third, before allowing the first Kansas hit in the top of the fourth.

After a Baylor error in the top of the fifth, Kansas brought home its lone run of the game on a single up the middle.

Baylor scored its last run in the bottom of the fifth when pinch-runner Ashlyn Wachtendorf came home on a wild pitch.

In game two, the Bears got on the board early again when Emily Hott led off the second inning with a double down the right-field line and then came around to score on a fielder’s choice and Jayhawk error.

The Bears were able to capitalize again in the bottom of the third when back-to-back walks and two stolen bases put runners on second and third with one out. Collazos, who had the first RBI in game one, picked up another one with an RBI sacrifice fly to right field. During the next at-bat, Toven scored from third on a wild pitch and made it a 3-0 ballgame.

BU scored its final run in the bottom of the fifth after loading the bases on an error, a hit batter and a single. Presleigh Pilon then knocked a single up the middle to bring home Josie Bower.

After a quiet fifth inning, Kansas loaded the bases in the top of the seventh, but a strikeout, fly out ad fielder’s choice erased the Jayhawks’ threat and secured the Bears’ 4-0 win.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Six different Bears recorded hits over the two games
  *   Presleigh Pilon was the only batter to record multiple hits on the day, going a combined 2-for-6
  *   Sydney Collazos brought home two RBI over the two games
  *   RyLee Crandall picked up the win in game one, improving to 9-4 on the season
  *   Dariana Orme picked up her second save of the season in game one, before picking up the win in game two and improving to 11-4 on the season. She had five strikeouts on the day
  *   The Bears didn’t allow an earned run on the day
  *   BU picked up its 10th shutout of the season
  *   Josie Bower is now tied for 2nd all-time in Baylor softball history in hit by pitches (25), tying Kelley Levesque

QUOTABLE

Head Coach Glenn Moore

“I said that after the game to the girls that we did some things situationally that paid off, whether it was taking an extra base or getting a sacrifice fly. We got a little soft slap by Presleigh Pilon, and just made some things happen. We were a little frustrated with our short game, our bunting and making contact at the right contact spot. We did a little better job at that today. We didn’t do a great job early, but we made adjustments and ended up producing more because of it. We didn’t swing the bat as well as I’d like. I’m not sure how much I need to attribute to their pitching, but we were up there fighting. Shaylon is always a factor and having to take her out of the game was going to make a difference in how they pitch us.”

Pitcher Dariana Orme on her game …

“I thought I was on but I only had 3 Ks, so that means my teammates were back there working their butts off to get those outs. I think it was all of us that were on today, the defense was amazing.”

Catcher Sydney Collazos on the games …

“We came in today knowing these two games were really important. We didn’t let it intimidate us or make us anxious. We took it as a challenge. We were excited coming into today and we won. Even though it was long and tiring, we played great as a team.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will hit the road to Knoxville, Tenn., for the Tennessee Invitational, where they will take on the No. 4-ranked Volunteers and the Mercer Bears on April 6-7.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>