Baylor Soccer Drops Conference Opener Against Oklahoma, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 23 22:22:26 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 23, 2022

Baylor Soccer Drops Conference Opener Against Oklahoma, 2-0
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer dropped its conference opener against Oklahoma, 2-0, at Betty Lou Mays Field Friday night.

The Sooners netted a goal in each half, one in the 34th minute and the second in the 83rd minute.

Junior Madison Martin got her second start of the season in goal for the Bears, playing all 90 minutes while picking up five saves. She was first put to the test in the 18th minute as she made a diving stop to keep the Sooners from their first goal.

Starting midfielder Gabby Mueller kicked things off for the Bears, getting off two shots in the first six minutes. Four Bears had two shots, including Mueller, with Ashley Merrill putting both of hers on goal.

Baylor’s best chance came in the 54th minute, when back-to-back-to-back shots from Maddie Algya, Merrill and Morgan Greensage ended in two saves for the OU goalkeeper and the last shot just left of the goal.

In total, eight Bears combined for 12 total shots and put four on goal.

Up next, Baylor will travel to Austin to face Texas at 7 p.m. next Friday, Sept. 30.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Madison Martin started in her second game of the season, her fourth appearance
  *   Freshman Morgan Greensage played 40 minutes, her first appearance of the season after battling an injury
  *   All five transfers started in the game
  *   Sarah Hornyak got her first start of the season, playing 79 minutes
  *   13 total corner kicks were taken, five for the Bears

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“We came out and tried to change things up coming into the first half, to get what we thought was a strategic advantage in the midfield. It did create opportunities for us on the ball and in possession in the attacking half, but because we weren’t able to execute in those moments we struggled in transition, which is where we got exploited. We were trying to make a change, couldn’t quite get a sub in time, and gave up that first half goal. Second half, we made a tactical change. I thought we looked a lot better, a lot more time on the ball, but had the same problems we are continuing to have. We’re in a rut here, we can’t find a way to get the ball in the back of the net. Our challenge now is can we keep struggling through this or can we continue to try and find ways to score goals? Where is our head going to go mentally as we’re in a scoring and winning rut? It’s not easy where we are right now, so we’re going to have character and integrity tested in these moments, and hopefully we keep fighting through it.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>