Baylor MGOLF Set to Open 2022-23 Season at Gopher Invitational

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 9 10:15:04 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 10, 2022

Baylor MGOLF Set to Open 2022-23 Season at Gopher Invitational
BU won its last trip to Windsong Farm in 2019
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s golf will open its 2022-23 season at the Gopher Invitational beginning Sunday in Independence, Minn.

The Bears aim to return to the postseason for the 24th time in 25 seasons. Head coach Mike McGraw likes what he saw from his team over the summer and is excited to see them compete at Windsong Farm.

“I love this time of year, it is so full of promise,” he said. “I am very excited about this group. This is also a fantastic golf course.”

The lineup will be led again by Johnny Keefer. He played out of the No. 1 position in every team event last season and qualified for the NCAA Norman Regional as an individual. The senior knows this team returns a lot of experience and is poised for a good season in 2022-23.

“We have pretty high expectations,” he said. “I think we will be a lot better than last year. We have some young, hungry guys, and we’ve added a few talented freshmen, so there's just a lot of desire to be good, and I think Minnesota is a great spot to start.”

Drew Wrightson will play out of the No. 2 spot coming off a freshman season where he played in eight stroke-play events, the second-most on the team. Wrightson notched a career-best tie for 5th at the DBU Classic in April.

Tyler Isenhart will make his 12th career start playing at the No. 3 spot in the lineup. The senior is coming off a tie for 11th as an individual at the Bayou City Collegiate Classic in his final start of the 2021-22 season.

Zach Heffernan will make his season debut at the No. 4 spot. Last year as a freshman, 82.1% of Heffernan's rounds counted toward the team score, which ranked third on the team.

Luke Dossey grabbed the final qualifying spot and will play at No. 5 this week. The senior from Austin was in the starting lineup for the final two events of last season.

Round one begins Sunday morning with a 7:15 a.m. CT shotgun start, with round two to follow. Monday’s final round will also begin with a 7:15 a.m. shogun start. Live stats can be found at Golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=participants&tid=25514>. For more information on Baylor Men’s Golf, follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>