Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Iowa, 0-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Mon Sep 5 00:07:10 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 4, 2022

Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Iowa, 0-0
Bears only allowed two shots on goal
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer recorded a 0-0 draw against Iowa Sunday night at Betty Lou Mays Field after a two-hour weather delay.

Baylor dominated the match but was unable to find the back of the net in the 90-minute battle against the Hawkeyes.

The Bears tallied eight corners in total, four in each half with the first one coming in the 4th minute.

Starting the game off on a high, Jenna Patterson put a shot on goal in the 1st minute as the Iowa goalkeeper had to make the save. The Bears had three shots on goal by three different Bears in the first 21 minutes of the match.

Seven Bears played all 90 minutes, the first game with that many playing the full length this season. The Baylor backline put on a defensive workshop, with each defender playing the full game length and only allowing four shots, two on goal.

Goalkeeper, Lauren Traywick didn’t see much action in goal, only having to make two saves as the defense smothered all other Hawkeye attacks.

With the second half similar to the first, the Bears created many chances, but weren’t able to convert any of them.

Ashley Merrill led the charge offensively putting up four shots, two on goal, the most of any Bear. Freshman, Micah Beasley got the second start of her career, playing all 90 minutes with two shots, one on goal.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor out shot Iowa 11-4, 6-2 on goal
  *   Lorelai Stramrood saw her first minutes of the season
  *   Seven bears played the full 90 minutes
  *   Three true freshmen made the starting 11
  *   Lauren Traywick picked up her second shutout in as many games

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“I thought we dominated the game. From the beginning, we had a great start to the game and came out with a ton of energy and after that delay I was really happy, because you don’t know how that can affect a team. We had the pressure on them and chances very early in the game. We were pressing in a very positive way that I think showed tremendous improvement from the last couple games. Halftime felt very in control but we knew that if we weren’t able to find the goal, we would end up in a situation like this. We kept the pressure on in the second half, but it came down to execution in the final third and disappointed that we tied because we felt like we deserved to win.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>