Baylor XC: Day, Urbani Lead Bears at Tornado Watch Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:22:48 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 1, 2022

Baylor XC: Day, Urbani Lead Bears at Tornado Watch Invitational
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country posted identical second-place finishes at the season-opening meet Thursday morning at the Tornado Watch Invitational in Round Rock.

“First races are great for getting a starting point, and I’m confident that once we get a bit more training in and add in a few more competitors on both the men’s and women’s side, we will be happy with our performances as the season progresses,” said head cross country coach David Barnett. “Continuing to make the most of our opportunities is a priority as we keep on improving.”

After a 30-minute late start, the Baylor men were led by senior Ryan Day, who also led the entire pack for a portion of the race. Day finished third with a 5K time of 15:40.0, followed closely by Drew Snyder in eighth, Devin Duran 11th and freshmen Ethan Wrase and Caleb Ackman in 12th and 13th, respectively. Overall, the Baylor men tallied 39 points, 20 points behind first-place Texas.

The women’s squad mirrored the men with a runner-up finish, with sophomore Cate Urbani placing third with a 5K time of 18:46.5. Hayden Gold (fifth), Sophia Leidner (sixth), Jordan Ledington (12th) and Chloe Gangnath (15th) were the other scoring runners, while Alaina Zamorano was a spot back in 16th. The top-five for the women put 37 points up for Baylor, only 15 points behind the Longhorns in first.

With the week off next week, the Bears will travel to Lubbock for the Texas Tech Opener on September 17th.

For the latest news on the Baylor cross country team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)