No. 13 Baylor VB Records Sunday Sweep of West Virginia

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Oct 30 16:12:55 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 30, 2022

No. 13 Baylor VB Records Sunday Sweep of West Virginia
Bears held the Mountaineers to just five points in the second set
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – The No. 13-ranked Baylor volleyball team swept West Virginia on Sunday afternoon, 3-0, in the Ferrell Center to take the season series from WVU.

The Bears (19-4, 8-2 Big 12 Conference) took the match from the Mountaineers (7-16, 0-10 Big 12) in a quick three sets: 25-19, 25-5, 25-18.

Baylor broke its record for lowest opponent point total in a 25-point set in set two where West Virginia had just five points. BU first broke the record this season on Oct. 1 against North Texas, where the Mean Green had just six points in the first set.

BU boasts a 11-1 home record on the season, and extended the win streak against WVU to 16. Baylor holds a 22-3 series record against the Mountaineers overall and are 10-2 when playing in Waco.

West Virginia had a negative hitting percentage, -.044, against the Bears for the second time this season, the Mountaineers hitting -.011 against BU in Morgantown on Oct. 8.

THE RUNDOWN
Set 1
Kara McGhee started off the match with a gnarly kill, then went on a three-point run to go up 4-1 with a Mallory Talbert and Lauren Harrison block. The Bears saw back-to-back aces from WVU’s Kamaiah Gibson, the score now 7-5, but Elise McGhee got the kill just after. The McGhee sisters got a block at 9-6, then there were back-to-back attack errors from WVU. Elise and Harrison got kills, then Kara and Harrison went up for a block to make it 14-9. Riley Simpson got a kill at 15-11 going into the media timeout, and after Talbert and Allie Sczech got kills, WVU called time at 17-11. WVU got their fourth ace at 17-13, then Sczech got a kill at 18-14. Simpson got another kill at 19-15, then Talbert just after. WVU’s Bailey Miller sandwiched an Elise McGhee kill, and Carlson got an ace at 23-18, prompting another WVU timeout. Kara McGhee got a kill, then Simpson and McGhee went up for a block to end the set, 25-19.

Set 2
The second frame started with an 8-0 run from the Bears. That run included a block from Sczech and Kara McGhee, kills from the pair, a Carlson ace and then a timeout from WVU. Sczech got a kill out of it, then there were four-straight attack errors from the Mountaineers, including a block from Sczech and McGhee. The run was stopped, but the scoring continued short after, West Virginia calling time again at 14-2. The domination in the set kept on, Talbert getting a kill and Briseño serving up an ace to make it 17-2. WVU’s third point was a kill from Brenna Tietz, then their fourth from Tierney Jackson shortly after. Simpson got an ace at 21-4, then Carlson recorded a kill, and Simpson followed it with another ace. The Mountaineers’ final point was another Jackson kill, but Talbert finished the set at 25-5 with a kill.

Set 3
Two set wins under their belt, the Bears started the third with an Elise McGhee kill, then she followed up with another at 2-1. WVU got back-to-back blocks, and took the lead at 4-3 when BU unsuccessfully challenged a play. Out of it, Sczech got a kill, then Sophia Keene served up an ace to take the lead back. Riley Simpson joined the scoring in the third set with at 6-5. Kara McGhee made it 9-7, but WVU stayed close. At 10-8 it was a block from McGhee and Sczech, then Simpson and Sczech got kills into the media timeout at 15-11. Talbert and Elise McGhee got kills with a WVU kill in between, followed by an attack error from the Mountaineers, WVU calling timeout at 18-12. Elise McGhee and Simpson got the Bears to 23-16, WVU calling time again. There was a BU attack error, then the Mountaineers got three-straight points, but a Sczech kill ended the match and set, 25-18.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor held WVU to a negative attack percentage in both the home and away matches.
  *   It was BU’s 11th sweep of the season.
  *   The Bears swept the season series against the Mountaineers with the victory.
  *   Baylor broke its record for lowest opponent point total in a 25-point set in set two where West Virginia had just five points.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Allie Sczech had 10 kills against the Mountaineers.
  *   Kara McGhee recorded seven blocks.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“Good to get a 3-0 sweep against a good conference team. I know they’ve gone five with several good opponents. Everyone’s got to protect their home floor. Really fun in that second set, just to feel that we’re in rhythm and dominating with block and defense and tough serves. To keep an opponent hitting negative for two sets and negative for the match, pleased with the defense, pleased with the things that we worked on as far as I didn’t feel like we passed well early. But, our out-of-system sets from our non-setter was something we worked on. So, Riley and Elise were able to get some big kills for that. Really proud of Riley, seven kills, but passed well. Again, another freshman that battled. Her and Elise have kind of been going back and forth. She’s actually been sick, didn’t practice yesterday. But, to show up, and when Lauren Harrison got hurt, to be able to battle and us not miss a beat. You get injuries, things could go different ways, but not with our Baylor team.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears hit the road once again, this time to Lubbock to face Texas Tech on Nov. 2.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com