Baylor WT Wraps Up Baylor Invite Sunday

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Oct 30 14:18:02 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 30, 2022

WT Wraps Up Baylor Invite Sunday
Shcherbinina, Dimitrov go undefeated in singles play

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Women’s tennis wrapped up the Baylor Invite on Sunday at the Hurd Tennis Center, posting a trio of wins in singles play and a doubles victory.

Alina Shcherbinina (6-4, 6-7, 13-11) and Daniella Dimitrov (6-2, 0-6, 10-7) remained undefeated in singles play on the weekend, posting victories over TCU’s Destinee Martins and Houston’s Gabriela Cortes, respectively. Additionally, Liubov Kostenko picked up a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Washington State’s Eva Alvarez Sande.

The Bears split in doubles play, as Kostenko and Shcherbinina teamed up for the 6-2 victory over Houston’s Azul Pedemonti and Maria Dzemeshkevich.

QUOTABLE

“It was a great weekend of tennis,” Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano said. “I’m proud of the ladies and how hard they battled and competed. We’re moving in the right direction as a team, but we still have a lot of room for improvement, and we will get there. We’re excited for the Big 12 Individual Championships coming up. Overall, just a really good weekend of tennis.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor concludes its fall slate next weekend when it travels to Stillwater, Oklahoma, for the Big 12 Individual Championships.

SUNDAY’S BAYLOR RESULTS
Singles
Alina Shcherbinina def. Destinee Martins (TCU), 6-4, 6-7, 13-11
Liubov Kostenko def. Eva Alvarez Sande (Washington St.), 6-2, 6-1
Daniella Dimitrov def. Gabriela Cortes (Houston), 6-2, 0-6, 10-7
Laura Slisane (Houston) def. Danielle Tuhten, 7-5, 6-3

SATURDAY’S BAYLOR RESULTS
Doubles
Liubov Kostenko/Alina Shcherbinina def. Azul Pedemonti/Maria Dzemeshkevich (Houston), 6-2
Eva Alvarez Sande/Maxine Murphy (Washington St.) def. Paula Baranano/Brooke Thompson, 6-2

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)