No. 10 Baylor Equestrian Upsets No. 1 TCU, 12-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 21 16:39:11 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 21, 2022

No. 10 Baylor Equestrian Upsets No. 1 TCU, 12-7
Bears sweep Flat, collect all four MOP’s

WACO, Texas – No. 10 Baylor equestrian (1-3, 1-1) upset No. 1 TCU (3-1, 0-1) Friday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco by a final of 12-7.

Behind an event win in Fences and a tie in Horsemanship, Baylor took a 5-4 lead into halftime. Then, the Bears made use of a 5-0 sweep in Flat to clinch the victory over the top-ranked Horned Frogs. To round out the afternoon, the Bears picked up another two points in Reining to see out the victory.

Dominika Silvestri (Fences), Madison Mitchell (Flat), Elsie Naruszewicz (Horsemanship) and Jenna Meimerstorf (Reining) were each named Most Outstanding Performers in their respective events.

THE RUNDOWN
To start the day, Baylor grabbed an event win in Fences, 3-2. Lauren Reid (83) and Maddie Vorhies (82) put up points for the Bears, and then Silvestri (86) followed suit after being granted a re-ride.

Meanwhile in Horsemanship, large scores from Nadalee Vasquez (78.5) and Naruszewicz (78) resulted in tallies for BU. Bella Rosa tied her head-to-head with a career-high 76.5 and helped the Bears take a 5-4 lead into the halftime break.

Following the pause, the Bears came out swinging in Flat to the tune of a 5-0 sweep, their first in the event since Feb. 28, 2020 against South Dakota State. Annie Vorhies (83), Mitchell (83), Silvestri (82), Lauren Reid (81) and Maddie Vorhies (74) each put points on the board to extend the lead.

Finally, Meimerstorf (72.5) and Andie Pratt (71.5) won their matchups to round out the action in Reining.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor collected an event win in Fences for the first time this season with a 3-2 victory.
• BU also recorded its first event win in Flat this year with a 5-0 victory.
• The sweep in Flat marked Baylor’s first such accomplishment since defeating South Dakota State 4-0 on Feb. 28, 2020.
• Dominika Silvestri was named the Most Outstanding Performer in Fences for the fourth time in her career after scoring a season-high 86.
• Madison Mitchell earned her first-career Most Outstanding Performer honor in Flat with an 83.
• Elsie Naruszewicz picked up her second-career Most Outstanding Performer nod in Horsemanship with a score of 78.
• Jenna Meimerstorf collected her second-career Most Outstanding Performer in Reining (both on Star) with a 72.5.
• Lauren Reid won her first-career points in Fences with an 83 on Lily and in Flat with an 81 on Capi.
• Nadalee Vasquez tallied a career-high 78.5 in Horsemanship, the highest score by a Bear in the event this year.
• Bella Rosa scored a career-high 76.5 in Horsemanship.

STAT OF THE MEET
5-0 – Baylor’s 5-0 sweep in Flat proved to be the difference maker in today’s meet.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On takeaways from today’s win…
“I think today definitely reassures our team. We have the ability to beat the number one team in the country. We’ve got the ability to beat anyone. We just have to be really good against the caliber of teams that are on our schedule this year, whether that’s at home or on the road. TCU came and brought their A-game today, but our team rose to the challenge. I think this definitely gives us a big boost of confidence to finish out the fall semester.”

On the team’s performance in Flat…
“Flat was just outstanding today. 5-0, they needed that more than anything. That is exactly how capable they are. I’m just really impressed with them and proud of them for sending us over the edge today.”

Jumping Seat Senior Dominika Silvestri
On the turning point in the second half…
“We had a great attitude going in to Flat. I actually gathered the girls around and didn’t really know what to say, but I got them together and said ‘Let’s go, let’s go get this, it’s ours, it’s our time,’ and then to start the second half with the first point really got us rolling. Being able to come out and go 5-0 for the team was great.”

Reining Senior Jenna Meimerstorf
On defeating the number one team in the nation…
“It feels really incredible. We have worked hard all week just to come back together as a team and gain some momentum in order for today to happen. So, it was really awesome to get this win. I am so proud of the team.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 10 Baylor (1-3, 1-1) heads north to take on No. 2 SMU (1-0, 0-0) on Friday, Nov. 4, at the Dallas Equestrian Center. Start time is still to be determined.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)