No. 18 Baylor VB Gets Midweek Sweep over No. 22 Rice

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Wed Oct 12 20:47:33 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 12, 2022

No. 18 Baylor VB Gets Midweek Sweep over No. 22 Rice
Bears get second ranked win of the season in Houston
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

HOUSTON, Texas – The 18th-ranked Baylor volleyball team blanked No. 22 Rice on Wednesday, 3-0, in Tudor Fieldhouse.

The Bears (15-3, 4-1) swept the Owls (15-2, 5-0) for just their second loss on the season, 25-18, 25-22, 25-17.

The all-time series between the programs is now tied at 23-23 overall and 9-9 when playing in Houston.

Elise McGhee drove the Bears in the first two sets, setting them up for the midweek sweep over the top-25 ranked Owls. Mallory Talbert led from the service line with a season-high three aces, while both Lauren Briseño and Sophia Keene had eight digs a piece. Kara McGhee once again led in blocks with three for BU.

THE RUNDOWN
Set 1
The Bears were blocked to start the first frame but Kara McGhee responded to tie it up at 1-1 with a kill. Tied at 3-3 and 4-4, Elise McGhee put BU up by two with back-to-back kills to make it 6-4. Carlson served up an ace at 9-7, followed by another kill from Elise. At 15-11 after kills from Harrison and Talbert, the squads went into a media timeout. Out of it, Talbert got another kill, with Carlson putting down a kill just after. Rice called timeout with the score 17-11, and out of it put up a block. The 20th point for BU came off an Owl attack error, Harrison and Elise McGhee pushing the Bears to that point. Rice called for a pause, and Talbert came out of it with an ace. Rice got two points after Elise got the 22nd point, making it 22-17, but Harrison returned with a kill. Elise McGhee got set point with a kill and a Rice attack error finished the set at 25-18.

Set 2
Rice came out with a vengeance to start the second, once again beginning with a block, but the Bears pulled up to the Owls from 8-8 on after starting behind at 7-5. Kara McGhee and Allie Sczech put up a block but Rice responded with their own, tying it again at 9-9. BU pulled ahead by two off an attack error and a Sczech kill, 13-10, Rice calling for a timeout. The Owls went on a 5-1 run, Ryan McGuyre calling time down 15-14. At 17-16, BU regained the lead with another Talbert ace, only for Rice to tie it again from 17 all the way through 21. Baylor pulled ahead by two to make it 23-21 after kills from Mallory Talbert and Lauren Harrison, prompting a Rice timeout. Out of it, BU had two set point chances, with the set being solidified by Harrison with a kill off an Alexis Dacosta assist, 25-22.

Set 3
Rice got the first two points of the set, but having the first two sets won, the Bears bounced back with an Owl attack error and Dacosta serving up an ace. Tied up again at 4-4 on a Rice kill, Harrison came back with two of her own to give BU the lead, solidified by a Carlson and Talbert block at 7-4. Rice called time after Harrison and Elise McGhee each got kills, only for Talbert to smack one down out of the pause. Cassie Davis served up an ace at 12-5, pushing the Bears right along. The Owls started to press back, but BU kept them at bay. Elise McGhee kept the lead increasing with a kill to make it 16-11, then Talbert got back-to-back kills to make it 20-14, with Rice calling timeout just after. Out of it Rice got a kill, but Harrison returned with one and Talbert had her third ace of the night. The Bears finished on a 3-0 run with a block from Carlson and Kara McGhee, a kill by McGhee, and an attack error from an Owl. Final score of the set was 25-17.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The win is Baylor’s 10th sweep of the season.
  *   BU has won four matches in a row.
  *   It is the Bears’ second ranked win of the 2022 season.
  *   The series between the Bears and Owls is now tied at 23-23 overall and 9-9 when in Houston.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Fifth-year senior Mallory Talbert had three aces for the Bears, the most she’s had in the green and gold.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“Really loved the team effort and consistency. Rice is a phenomenal team, extremely well-coached. They’re going to be a good (NCAA) tournament team this year. So, to come on the road, in their house, and get out of here in three-straight sets is really huge for us. I liked our serve receive game, did a much better job on defense. Elise (McGhee) really kind of carried us through the first set or two and we got good production again from our middles. Great team effort, but felt like our best serves were in the late part of all three sets and helped create separation for us.”

Sophomore Elise McGhee
“I had really been working on my shots so it was such a great feeling to be able to put it together in a match. The constant communication between Averi and I during the game helped us both feel more confident in our connection. We talked a lot about the importance of consistency this morning as a team and came into the match with that mindset. Being consistent allowed us to play with joy and bring energy.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears host top-ranked Texas on Saturday in a 2pm bout in the Ferrell Center. It is a white out for BU, as well as Faith & Family night. Free pom poms and buttons will be given away at the match.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com