Baylor Soccer Wins Thriller Over Kansas, 3-2

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 6 23:09:48 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 6, 2022

Baylor Soccer Wins Thriller Over Kansas, 3-2
Freshman scores game winner in the 90th minute
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer defeated Kansas, 3-2, Thursday night at Betty Lou Mays Field with a thrilling 90th minute goal.

The Bears came back from a 2-1 deficit to topple Kansas after scoring the game’s first goal in the 17th minute. Freshman Reneta Vargas netted the first goal, and the first of her career, to put the Bears up 1-0 over the Jayhawks on a cross from Gabby Mueller.

Less than three minutes later, Kansas answered with the equalizer to knot the game at one a piece heading into halftime.

Coming out strong after halftime, Kansas found the back of the net again in the 49th minute to push its lead to, 2-1.

Baylor kept getting chances, putting shots on frame, but the real action started in the 88th minute when Ashley Merrill headed in her third goal of the season on an assist from Sarah Hornyak. The Bears weren’t done, though. Vargas, with 37 seconds left on the clock, found the back of the net for the second time in the match, on a corner kick from Haven Terry with an assist from Hallie Augustyn.

The Bears finished the night with nine corner kicks, five of those in the first half, and nine of their 14 shots on goal.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Reneta Vargas scored two goal, the first multi-goal game for any Bear this season and the first goal of her career.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears scored three goals for the second time this season, the last coming in the 3-0 victory over Houston
  *   Freshman Reneta Vargas picked up her first start of her career
  *   Ashley Merrill netted her team-best third goal of the season
  *   Four different Bears, Gabby Mueller, Hallie Augustyn, Sarah Hornyak and Haven Terry, each recorded an assist.
  *   Four Bears recorded two or more shots
  *   Reneta Vargas and Maddie Algya each had two shots on goal
  *   The Bears tallied nine corner kicks
  *   Goalkeeper Lauren Traywick made three saves
  *   The Bears put up 14 shots, nine on goal, for the second-straight game

QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“It was exciting. I don’t know if we’ve ever needed something as much as we needed that, right now at this point in the season. Super proud of the girls, obviously. Had a good first half, went up early, made a mistake, gave up a goal. Came back in the second half and looked really flat the first 10 minutes. And that’s something we’ve struggled with this season is consistency, but today there was something different. Our ability to keep grinding and work through it and to mentally stay engaged was really impressive at the end of that game. I think we started to switch gears in the middle of the second half, had more pressure on them and then just big-time moments for a couple of girls at the end there, Ashley and Reneta. What a big day for Reneta. Happy to have her back.”

Reneta Vargas on her goals …
“I couldn’t do it without my team. I’ve been out for about two months already, so it was a great feeling just coming back on the field and playing with my team. I just couldn’t do it without them.”

Ashley Merrill on the win …
“It was amazing. I mean, we really needed that goal to tie us up, and I think that we all just wanted it really bad. And that work from players like Gabby (Mueller) and Sarah (Hornyak) to get that ball down the line and grit just to get the ball in. An amazing ball by Sarah, and everyone coming together like that moment after, everyone's celebrating together just brought us so much momentum for the third goal. So, it was awesome.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears will take on Kansas State Sunday, Oct. 9, at noon at Betty Lou Mays Field to finish out their two-game home stand.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>