Baylor Softball Wins National Invitational Softball Championship Over UNLV, 4-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu May 26 16:58:16 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 26, 2022

Baylor Softball Wins National Invitational Softball Championship Over UNLV, 4-0
Bears shut out the Rebels for the championship title
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Baylor softball dominated in the final game of the National Invitational Softball Championship, shutting out UNLV, 4-0, on Thursday to take the championship title at TC Colorado Field.

The Bears started out strong, totaling four singles in the first inning and scoring two runs. McKenzie Wilson scored the first run of the game after she led off the game with a single up the middle and scored on a hit from Emily Hott. Kaci West also came around to score after Josie Bower punched one up the middle as well.

Aliyah Binford pitched a lights-out game, going a complete 7.0 innings, shutting out the Rebels and striking out nine. She only allowed three base runners the whole game on two singles and an error.

Baylor loaded the bases in the fourth inning, after Binford doubled and Zadie LaValley and Wilson drew walks. A groundout ended the threat, but the Bears were able to plate two more in the fifth inning.

After Hott walked and West singled, Bower doubled to left-center to give the Bears the 4-0 advantage.

A couple runners got on for Baylor in the sixth and seventh innings, but four runs were enough for the Bears to take home the title game in the fourth annual NISC Tournament.

The Bears also took home four tournament awards, presented after the game. Binford won tournament MVP, as Ana Watson, West and Wilson picked up All-Tournament accolades.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Aliyah Binford pitched her third complete-game shutout this season. She struck out nine, only allowing two hits
  *   Kaci West was 3-for-4, reaching base in seven of her last eight at-bats
  *   Josie Bower recorded two hits and a team-leading three RBI
  *   Six Bears recorded a hit
  *   This is the Bears’ 12th shutout this season
  *   Bears win the 4th annual National Invitational Softball Championship
  *   Aliyah Binford won tournament MVP
  *   McKenzie Wilson, Ana Watson and Kaci West were named to the all-tournament team

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“I’m so proud of this team. They never wavered from their mission. All the practices were intentionally hard with heavy workloads. We were determined to compete at our highest level, and we did. We had to call on some to do some things they have not had to do, and they welcomed the challenge. The future looks bright for this team. We will miss Kendall (Cross) and Rhein (Trochim), but I can’t wait for the fall.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>