Baylor WT’s Herrero, Krywoj Advance to Round of 16

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Tue May 24 20:42:04 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 24, 2022

Baylor WT’s Herrero, Krywoj Advance to Round of 16
Bears battle in opening round three-set thriller
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – Baylor’s Alicia Herrero and Mel Krywoj advanced to the Round of 16 in the NCAA Doubles Championships with their 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9) win over Wake Forest’s Casie Wooten and Samantha Martinelli.

The Bears got off to a quick start, as an ace by Herrero propelled them to a 2-0 lead in the first set. Baylor led by 4-0 at one point, but the Demon Deacons battled back to make the score 5-4 in favor of BU before the Bears captured the opening set, 6-4.

It was a back-and-forth start to the second set until Wake Forest took over to land the 6-3 edge and force a third set.

The third set was played as a 10-point tiebreaker. The Demon Deacons held a 7-6 lead, but the Bears fought back to prevail, 11-9.

Next up for Herrero and Krywoj will be Georgia Tech’s Ava Hraster and Kylie Bilchev who defeated Florida’s Carly Briggs and Marlee Zein, 7-6, 6-4. The No. 36 Jackets are 20-9 on the season. The Round of 16 match is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Alicia Herrero and Mel Krywoj move to 24-6 on the season. That win total is good for fifth in program history.
  *   Herrero and Krywoj are the seventh duo in program history to advance past the opening round of the NCAA Doubles Championships.
  *   Herrero and Krywoj are now 7-4 against ranked foes with their three-set win over No. 27 Casie Wooten and Samantha Martinelli.

QUOTE
Alicia Herrero on the match…
“We were ready to go to battle tonight. The other girls competed really hard, but tough moments we were braver. We were trying to play aggressive, and that gave us the match. It was tough but a really good first round for us.”

Joey Scrivano on the match…
“It was a great win for Ali and Mel. Really proud of them. They competed so well today. Wake Forest is a really tough team. They played that second set really strong. Ultimately, Ali and Mel are one of the best teams in college tennis. They made some great adjustments during the match. In the tiebreaker they played with a lot of courage. They went after their shots. That usually makes a big difference. We’re excited for them to be competing tomorrow. We love watching them play.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>