No. 3 Baylor MT Finalizes Season in NCAA Quarterfinals

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Thu May 19 21:29:44 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 19, 2022

No. 3 MT Finalizes Season in NCAA Quarterfinals
Bears fall to No. 6 Tennessee, 4-3
contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – No. 3 national seed Baylor fell to sixth-seed Tennessee in the quarterfinals, 4-3, on Thursday night in Illinois at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Center.

The Bears (29-4) finalized their season with an elite eight appearance, the 15th time the program has competed in the quarterfinals. Baylor’s record in the NCAA Tournament is now 65-23 and 13-2 when playing as the third national seed.

BU finishes the season with a National Indoors semifinals appearance, NCAA quarterfinals appearance and its third-straight Big 12 Championship.

THE RUNDOWN
Baylor fell after a fight in doubles, winning on court one but being bested on courts two and three. With the quick 6-1 win on the top court with partner Finn Bass, senior Sven Lah broke Constantin Frantzen’s career doubles wins record with 113. The pair bested tenth-ranked Adam Walton and Pat Harper. On court two, No. 9 Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi were downed by No. 21 Emile Hudd and Shunsuke Mitsui, 6-1. It came down to court three, where UT’s Mark Wallner and Johannus Monday took the match, 6-4, over Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek.

The Bears revved up their engines and came out hot in singles, winning the first set on four of the six courts. Grassi Mazzuchi made quick work, winning 6-1, 6-2 on court six over Harper to tie it up for BU. Pushing Baylor further was No. 58 Paroulek, winning 6-2, 6-4 on court five over UT’s Angel Diaz. Court three finished next, with No. 74 Hudd winning 7-6(3), 6-3, over No. 73 Lah to tie it back up at 2-2 overall.

No. 36 Soto had a tooth and nail match with No. 10 Monday but came out on top with the 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win on court two. Back up by a point, two other three-set matches were carrying on. On court one, the Volunteers’ No. 3 Walton came away with the win over No. 5 Boitan, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5, after a battle among the nation’s best. It all came down to court four, where Bass and UT’s Mitsui were in a war as well. Mitsui bested Bass, 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4 to finalize the match.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“That’s one of the best college tennis matches that we will experience. It had absolutely everything. We had chances, they had chances. Deep into the third set on so many courts. We won some of them, we lost some of them, and unfortunately, this one didn’t fall our way. The thing that I’m the most proud of is the way that our guys competed, the way they battled together. They just represent the university and the program so well. Our fans, our coaches, our staff just do an incredible job of representing Baylor and showing what we really are about and who we are as people. And that’s so much more important to me than the result. My heart breaks that we’re not going to get out there as a team with Matias and Sven anymore. I’m just excited to have had the opportunity and thankful for the opportunity to have worked with them for so long. This team has an extremely bright future. I know this one stings, and it’s probably going to motivate all of us to work a little harder moving forward. But the season is defined by so much success. Another Big 12 championship, another semifinal run at Indoors, quarterfinals here, 29 wins. We’re the best of the best, it just didn’t fall our way today, but that’s tennis, that’s life. I’m just more happy about the way we handled it and how we consistently went through the season. This is a first-class group of guys, and I’m just proud to be a part of it.”

UP NEXT
The Bears have a group of players competing in the individual singles and doubles competition, beginning on May 23 in Champaign. More information will be released as it is obtained regarding the brackets.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#3 [3 seed] Baylor (3) vs. #6 [6 seed] Tennessee (4)
NCAA Quarterfinals
Champaign, Ill. – Khan Outdoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. #3 Adam Walton def. #5 Adrian Boitan (UT) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. #36 Matias Soto (BU) def. #10 Johannus Monday (UT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. #74 Emile Hudd (UT) def. #73 Sven Lah 7-6(3), 6-3
4. Shunsuke Mitsui (UT) def. Finn Bass (BU) 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4
5. #58 Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Angel Diaz (UT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Pat Harper (UT) 6-1, 6-2

Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4
DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #3 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) def. #13 Adam Walton/Pat Harper (UT) 6-1
2. #21 Emile Hudd/Shunsuke Mitsui (UT) def. #9 Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) 6-1
3. Mark Wallner/Johannus Monday (UT) def. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) 6-4

Order of finish: 1, 2, 3

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)