Jackson Leads Charge in Baylor Baseball's 4-2 Win at K-State

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri May 13 22:24:51 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 13, 2022

Jackson Leads Charge in Baylor BSB’s 4-2 Win at K-State
Fifth-year senior RHP goes 7 IP and allows just one run in series-opening victory

MANHATTAN, Kan. – Fifth-year senior RHP Jake Jackson turned in one of his best outings of the year as Baylor baseball (24-22, 6-13) defeated Kansas State (25-23, 6-13) 4-2 Friday night at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan.

Jackson (4-4) threw seven strong innings, allowing just one run on six scattered hits, while walking one and striking out three. Fellow senior LHP Matt Voelker picked up his third save of the year, completing the final two innings with three hits allowed and one run, walking two and fanning one.

Offensively, Tre Richardson led the way with a three-hit performance and a pair of two-out RBIs that proved essential. Jared McKenzie also drove in a run, while the 7-8-9 spots in BU’s order combined for two hits and three runs.

Baylor got the scoring started in the top of the third inning as Richardson singled in Jacob Schoenvogel. Then in the fifth, the Bears plated three more as Harrison Caley scored off a K-State error on an Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo single. Richardson chased him in with a double and subsequently scored on McKenzie’s two-out knock that made it 4-0 in BU’s favor.

Jackson put up zeroes until the sixth when K-State got one back via a solo home run, but he worked out of danger and finished his outing after seven frames to tie his season-long performance. Voelker allowed one run in the eighth, but escaped further trouble with a bases-loaded strikeout to end the threat.

The Wildcats went quietly in the ninth, as nothing came of a one-out double and the Bears picked up their first series-opening win in Big 12 play this season.

NOTES
• Baylor improved to 53-30 all-time against Kansas State and 10-7 over the Wildcats under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.
• BU has won eight of the last 11 matchups with K-State.
• The Bears have won four in a row in Manhattan.
• Baylor extended its streak to 25 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 14 of their last 15 games.
• Tre Richardson recorded his 15th multi-hit and ninth multi-RBI game of the year.
• Jake Jackson tied a season-high with seven innings pitched and earned his fourth win of 2022 to tie for the team lead.
• Matt Voelker earned his third save of the year.

STAT OF THE GAME
7 – Jake Jackson threw seven strong innings, scattering six hits and allowing just one run in the win.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On tonight’s win…
“Jake Jackson did a phenomenal job for us. After a long break, he came out and did exactly what we needed him to do. Threw a lot of strikes, forced them to put the ball in play. We got some great defense and some timely hits, so having him come out and be able to gobble up some quality innings for us and get the win was a great step for us after finals getting back into league play.”

On the offensive execution…
“Our execution was really good in certain areas. Our bunts got guys in scoring position, next thing you know Tre [Richardson] would come up and be able to drive them in. We got some key hits from some key people in regards to where they are in the lineup, and just getting RBIs when we needed to and two-out RBIs, which had been evading us for quite a few games, today was there for us. I was just really happy that we jumped out the way we did and the guys swung the bats the way they did.”

Senior RHP Jake Jackson
On what was working for him…
“Just getting ahead in counts and trying to give my team a chance to win. My offense gave me one in the third and three in the fifth and I just kind of rolled with that. I attacked their hitters, they were swinging early so just threw everything in the zone and let my stuff work, competed as much as I could to get us deep in the game and get a W.”

Sophomore INF Tre Richardson
On his approach with two outs or two strikes…
“I was just trying to go up there and do my job, extend innings and extend at-bats. You know, just help the team win. I don’t think the approach really changes too much, I try to have the same mentality in an 0-0 count as I would in an 0-2 count. Just trying to get barrel to the ball, not try to do too much, and I hit a few that found holes. This is a big series. Any type of win is big, but being able to come out here on the road in front of their home faithful was really big for us.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (24-22, 6-13) looks to clinch the series over Kansas State (25-23, 6-13) in Saturday’s game two, set for a 4:00 p.m. CT first pitch from Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)