No. 10/No. 11 Baylor T&F: Prosper Nnamdi Wins Big 12 Javelin Championship

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri May 13 22:14:25 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 13, 2022

No. 10/No. 11 Baylor T&F: Prosper Nnamdi Wins Big 12 Javelin Championship
Hardan breaks program record in hammer throw
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

LUBBOCK, Texas – Baylor track and field began the 2022 Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championship at Texas Tech on Friday. Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi (“Zaza”) was the first Bear to win hardware at the meet with a championship.

Prosper Nnamdi, in his first-ever conference championship meet, recorded his third-best throw of the season on Friday evening, throwing 255-10 to win the javelin throw competition by over 23 feet. He represents the largest group of points for Baylor, scoring 10.

“I thought we had a good day,” said head coach Michael Ford. “Of course, I was very pleased with Zaza (Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi) winning his first Big 12 title in javelin. It was not his best throw, but he’s healthy and can get ready for regionals and nationals. You have to give a big shoutout to Coach (Jeff) Chakouian, also having Hannah (Link) and Cole (Hardan) score in the hammer throw to start off the first day of the meet.”

Cole Hardan recorded a new program record with his 196-9 throw in the hammer. That throw for Hardan extended his personal-best by just under four feet and won him sixth place, including three points for the team. Hannah Link advanced to the final three rounds of the hammer throw in the women’s competition, finishing in seventh place with a 182-5 throw, scoring two points toward Baylor’s total.

With one day down in the multi events, Alyssa Miller goes into Saturday’s meet ranked in the seventh position with 3,231 points in the women’s heptathlon. In the men’s decathlon, Luke Anthony sits 16th with 3,281 points.

“Overall, just pleased with the day and we know where we sit after Day One,” said Ford.

The championship continues on Saturday, with a detailed event schedule, live stream links and live results all found online<https://big12sports.com/tournaments/?id=1033>.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)