Baylor Softball’s Offense Explodes with Win Over No. 14 Texas, 17-3

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat May 7 19:07:24 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 7, 2022

Baylor Softball’s Offense Explodes with Win Over No. 14 Texas, 17-3
The most runs ever given up by the Texas Longhorns
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor softball’s offense was on display Saturday afternoon as they took down No. 14 Texas in Austin, 17-3.

The Bears fell behind after the first inning after two doubles and a groundout plated two runs for them. Starting pitcher Aliyah Binford struck out two in the top of the first to get the Bears out of the inning.

Baylor’s McKenzie Wilson led off the game with a double, before the Bears were able to plate three runs in the bottom of the second.

After three-straight walks loaded the bases to begin the inning, Ana Watson reached on a fielder’s choice that scored Binford. Back-to-back singles from Taylor Strain and Emily Hott brought home the last two tuns of the inning.

Bringing more of the offense from game one of the series, Baylor took the 5-2 lead after the third inning. After Binford reached on a single to the pitcher, Sydney Collazos put one though the left side advancing Binford, who then scored on a throwing error by the Longhorns. Collazos came around to score later in the inning on a wild pitch.

Binford tossed three more scoreless innings for the Bears as they tacked on two more in the top of the fifth on a bases loaded single up the middle that scored two.

Baylor exploded in the top of the seventh, scoring 10 runs on eight hits. As five Bears walked in the inning, West and Josie Bower each hit doubles. The Bears 17 runs mark the most allowed in Texas softball history.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Most runs allowed in a game in Texas softball history
  *   The Bears loaded the bases five different times
  *   Baylor had 16 hits on the game, the most since the 2016 season
  *   Emily Hott was 2-for-2 at the plate, with an RBI and four walks, which is a new career high
  *   All but one Bear recorded at least one hit
  *   McKenzie Wilson reached base in every at bat
  *   15 walks is the most ever issued in a game by Texas
  *   15 is the most walks Baylor has ever received in a game
  *   Most hits in a game this season
  *   Most hits Texas has given up this year
  *   Kaci West had two doubles in a game for the first time in her career, along with a career-high five RBI
  *   Josie Bower had a career high four RBI
TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“I think have been waiting to bust out of our slump for a while and I think we saw an opportunity to do that and I’m really proud of the fact that the girls continued to push and didn’t just think we had enough. It’s probably to do with the fact that we have let so many teams do that this year, that we are growing up and learning from past experiences. I think we just continue to pound the strike zone from a pitching standpoint, played good defense and had quality at bats.”

Kaci West on mentality behind the 16 hits…
“We changed our mentality to attack early, so we weren’t attacking the pitches that were out of the zone like I did yesterday.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>