Baylor Baseball Upsets No. 9 Texas Tech, 11-7

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun May 1 18:03:30 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 1, 2022

Baylor BSB Upsets No. 9 Texas Tech, 11-7
Nevin records career-high five-hit game and ties program record with three doubles

WACO, Texas – Kyle Nevin sparked Baylor baseball (22-22, 5-13) to an 11-7 victory over No. 9 Texas Tech (31-16, 11-7) on Sunday afternoon at Baylor Ballpark.

Nevin recorded the Bears’ first five-hit game of the season and tied the program record for most doubles in a Big 12 game with three. He also drove in four runs to tie his career high, while Jack Pineda, Cam Caley and Jacob Schoenvogel combined to add seven hits and five more RBIs in the winning effort.

Though Tech struck first with a solo homer in the top of the first, BU responded prompty with three runs in the bottom half. Nevin doubled in Pineda, then scored on Caley’s two-run double that was fair by inches down the left field line.

The Bears plated four more in the second to jump out to a 7-1 advantage behind Nevin’s bases-clearing two-bagger. A pair of walks and a Pineda single set up the Baylor cleanup man to extend his RBI total to 43 on the year.

BU starter Blake Helton exited after two innings, making his first start since the season’s opening weekend, and handed the ball off to Matt Voelker who went on to throw the next five innings. He kept the Red Raiders in check, and benefited from a four-run fourth inning by his teammates in green and gold.

It was a Harrison Caley walk with the bases juiced, followed by an Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo run-scoring single that increased the Baylor lead to 9-2, following a TTU home run in the fourth. Schoenvogel kept the line moving with a two-run knock to make it 11-2.

The Red Raiders would scratch a few more across throughout the later innings, but Adam Muirhead was able to finish it off for the Bears without allowing a run in getting the final six outs. BU avoided the sweep by salvaging the series for its second top-10 win of the season.

NOTES
• Baylor collected its second win over a top-10 opponent in 2022, improving to 13-20 against such teams in the Steve Rodriguez era.
• Baylor is now 6-8 against a top-10 ranked Texas Tech team under Rodriguez.
• BU improved to 7-4 on Sunday’s and 7-2 when wearing its gold jerseys.
• The Bears improved to 14-3 when out-hitting their opponent and tallied double-digit knocks for the 17th time this year.
• Baylor extended its streak to 23 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 12 of their last 13 games.
• Kyle Nevin logged a career-high five hits, becoming the first Baylor player to have such a game since Shea Langeliers did so on June 1, 2019 in the Los Angeles Regional against Omaha.
• Nevin tied the program record for most doubles in a Big 12 game with three.
• Nevin also tied his career high with four RBIs, his 13th multi-RBI performance of the season.
• Jack Pineda notched his 16th multi-hit game of the season.
• Cam Caley recorded his second multi-hit and multi-RBI efforts of 2022.
• Jacob Schoenvogel collected his second multi-hit and first multi-RBI game of the year.
• Antonio Valdez walked four times to tie the program record for walks in a Big 12 game.
• Matt Voelker set a season high with five strikeouts and five innings pitched in relief. He also earned his fourth win of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
5 – Kyle Nevin logged a career-high five hits, including three doubles which tied Baylor’s all-time record for doubles in a Big 12 game.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On the offense’s performance…
“What’s funny is the past couple of days we kind of had similar situations, with bases loaded, guys on second and third, guy on second base, we hit a ball hard and it’s just right at somebody. Today was the exact opposite. Guys were finding a way to put the ball in play, whether it’s a flare down the left-field line or a ground ball down the right side or Kyle Nevin smashing a double into the gap. Those are just things that were evading us the past few days. So for our guys to continue to do what they’ve been doing, just lay good at-bats throughout the game. With guys in scoring position today, we were able to come through, and I’m just really proud of the guys for the resiliency they showed this weekend.”

Sophomore OF Kyle Nevin
On salvaging the series…
“Definitely huge. Big momentum. We have Tarleton this Tuesday and then we have ten days off. So just showing that we can fight and beat these big teams. The offense came to play and the pitching kept us in the game. It was definitely a good team win.”

Junior RHP Blake Helton
On making his first start since February…
“It felt really good to be back out on the mound. I’ve been watching in the dugout for awhile. Last week at UT, I got a little bit over an inning. It was nice to be able to make another start. Hopefully, I can just build up from here and go more and more innings every week.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (22-22) hosts Tarleton (13-30) for a midweek matchup on Tuesday, May 3, at 6:30 p.m. CT at Baylor Ballpark.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)