Baylor Softball Drops Series Finale Against Iowa State, 6-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun May 1 16:20:38 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 1, 2022

Baylor Softball Drops Series Finale Against Iowa State, 6-1
Senior Rhein Trochim recorded the Bears’ only two hits
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball fell in the series finale, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at Getterman Stadium, as Iowa State took the series 2-1.

After a quick five-pitch top of the first and six-pitch bottom of the first, the Bears worked out of the second inning after the Cyclones hit a leadoff single.

Celebrating senior day, seniors Rhein Trochim and Kendall Cross each made starts for the Bears. Trochim, who was 2-for-2 on the day, singled for the first time in the bottom of the third with two outs. McKenzie Wilson and Emily Hott then drew back-to-back walks to load the bases for the Bears’ only real threat of the game, but a strikeout ended the inning before any runs came across.

Iowa State put up a run in the fourth and two runs in the fifth to take the 3-0 lead before the Bears were able to get one run back.

Zadie LaValley walked to lead off the bottom of the fifth before pinch runner Grace Powell came in and moved over to third on a groundout and passed ball. Trochim lined her second hit of the day up the middle to plate the Bears’ lone run.

The Cyclones scored three more over the next two innings to take the 6-1 win, as the Bears weren’t able to get any more baserunners.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Senior Rhein Trochim went 2-for-2 at the plate, recording the Bears’ only hits of the day and only RBI
  *   Pinch runner Grace Powell scored the only run
  *   Only four people reached base, with three Bears drawing walks
  *   Iowa State’s Carli Spelhaug was a perfect 43-43 in stolen base attempts in her career before today when she was thrown out by catcher Zadie LaValley in the top of the fifth; she was the only active Division I player with a perfect stolen base percentage (min. 40 attempts)

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the seniors…
“Obviously, Kendall (Cross) has been here the longest, and we appreciate her leadership and what she’s brought to the team. She’s worked hard to get some playing time. This year, she got in the game a good bit. So, I’m very, very happy with her and wish her the best. And of course, we’ve still got some games to play with her. But I’m appreciative of what she brought.”

“Rhein (Trochim) we recruited her out of high school, and wanted her in green and gold. She went off to Illinois and got smart and came back. She’s a special kid. She comes to work every day and puts forth as much effort as anyone we’ve ever had at practice, trying to better her game. We asked her to move from outfield to playing an infield position that she’s never played, and didn’t blink an eye. She went in and did her best to try to master that position. Look who comes through with hits today. On Senior Day, she’s got our only two hits. I wish she would have been in the mix with a lot of hits. But for her to step up into the nine-hole and get our only two hits, I really was proud for her. I think she would say the same thing. You want to be able to play them on Senior Day. Fortunately, they had played enough for me this year to give me an opportunity to start them and stick with them most of the game.”

Rhein Trochim on her performance today…
"As I was out there, we came out there ready to play. We just came up short, but while I was out there, I was laying it all out for my team doing everything I can to have Dariana’s back, my team’s back. This senior day is very important; it's very important to Kendall Cross as well, who has been here for four years now. So, it’s just a roller coaster of emotions. As I got those hits, I was just like 'I'm doing everything I can to help my team.’"

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>