Baylor Baseball Drops 3-0 Ballgame to No. 21 TCU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 18 22:24:25 CDT 2022

Baylor BSB Drops 3-0 Ballgame to No. 21 TCU
Bears only muster two hits as Thomas turns in another quality start

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (9-8, 0-1) dropped its Big 12 opener to No. 21 TCU (13-4, 1-0), 3-0, Friday night at Baylor Ballpark.

Senior lefty Tyler Thomas (3-2) turned in another strong outing, going six innings and allowing just two runs on six hits, but the Bears could only muster two hits at the plate and were held scoreless.

TCU’s Riley Cornelio (2-1) went eight strong innings and struck out seven, only walking one. He and closer River Ridings retired 19 of 20 BU hitters from the last two outs in the third frame until Jared McKenzie was hit by a pitch with two outs in the ninth.

A solo home run in the fifth opening the scoring, and the Horned Frogs added a run in both the seventh and eighth to provide some insurance.

Right-handed reliever Chandler Freeman tied his career-high with 2.1 innings out of the bullpen, and lefty Cam Caley got two outs, including a strikeout, for the Bears.

NOTES
• Baylor falls to 10-9 against TCU under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.
• The Bears are now 4-3 against ranked opponents in 2022.
• BU has won five of its last seven home contests against TCU.
• Baylor added to its Big 12 lead with three double plays and now has 18 on the year.
• Tre Richardson extended his hit streak to five games, and has reached base in eight-straight contests.
• Harrison Caley owns an on-base streak of six games after reaching twice against the Frogs.
• Chandler Freeman tied his career-high with 2.1 innings pitched.

STAT OF THE GAME
3 – Baylor rolled three double plays against the Horned Frogs, adding to its conference lead of 18.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On the difference in tonight’s ballgame…
“I thought our guys had some pretty good at-bats, for the most part. [TCU] was able to get the hit. [Tommy] Sacco comes up and hits a home run, and that was the difference in the game, just plain and simple. Then they were able to get two doubles, we get a wild pitch and we’re not able to keep it in front of us. Those are the differences. I thought we swing the bat pretty good at the beginning, then in the middle it was still pretty good. Towards the end, I thought we were taking some really good at-bats, we just couldn’t get the hits.”

On Chandler Freeman’s development as a pitcher…
“He came in as a possible two-was guy as a hitter, and then we realized he had a knack for pitching. He has a great slider, something that he feels really comfortable throwing. From our standpoint, he has a great niche in our bullpen and that’s something that has become very valuable to us.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (9-8, 0-1) and No. 21 TCU (13-4, 1-0) return to Baylor Ballpark for game two of the three-game series on Saturday, March 19, at 3 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)