No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps Miami, Advances to ITA Indoors

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Mon Jan 31 18:51:21 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 31, 2022

No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps Miami, Advances to ITA Indoors
Bears in ITA Indoors for the 11th time
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 2 Baylor men’s tennis team was in a battle of the unbeatens with Miami on Monday, both with 5-0 records, but bested and blanked the Hurricanes, 4-0 to win and advance to the Bears’ 11th ITA Indoor National Championships.

BU, now 6-0 on the season, is 22-0 all-time when playing in ITA Kickoff Weekend. Baylor swept both matches in this year’s installment of the ITA Kickoff at 4-0.

Five of the Bears’ six wins in dual play have been sweeps of their opponent. Baylor has now had 22 sweeps under second-year head coach Michael Woodson.

In doubles, the duo of Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi finished first for the Bears for second match in a row, this time over Hurricanes Martin Katz/Juan Martin Jalif. The pair are now 4-0 on the season when playing doubles together, all in the second position. Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek clinched the doubles point for the Bears on court three, besting Oren Vasser/Dan Martin at 6-2.

On the singles side, Grassi Mazzuchi once again finished first in singles, winning 6-3, 6-0 over UM’s Juan Martin Jalif on court six, making him 6-0 on the season. On court five, Bass bested Katz, 6-3, 6-1. His win improved his overall record for the year to 7-2 and 5-0 in dual matches. Clinching the match for the Bears was Marko Miladinović in just his second match in the green and gold after going unfinished against William & Mary. He won 6-1, 6-3 over Miami’s Oren Vasser on court four for his first win at Baylor after coming back from a 3-0 deficit in the second set.

BU is joined by Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, USC, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Virginia, Wake Forest and Washington in the ITA Indoor National Championships, set to be held in Seattle by UW. The Bears will find out their matchups at a later date, with the tournament taking place February 18-21.

QUOTABLE – head coach Michael Woodson
“I thought we did a good job this weekend. There are so many difficult regionals, anyone that’s playing in this tournament is a very good team, is very well coached, have experienced players and it’s hard. We knew it was going to be tougher today and going from outside to inside is never easy, but our guys did a good job of locking it in early, even during the warmup. Guys who got ahead were able to extend leads and guys that got ahead were able to slow down and work their way into the match which is all we can ask for. We have to survive and advance and the guys are excited to go to Seattle.”

NEXT UP
The Bears face conference foe Texas at home on Friday night at 6 p.m. in a non-conference matchup, with the location set for Hurd Tennis Center.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#2 Baylor (4) vs. Miami (0)
Waco, Texas – Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Adrian Boitan (BU) vs. #121 Dan Martin (UM) 3-6, 3-1 unfinished
2. Matias Soto (BU) vs. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) 6-4, 4-1 unfinished
3. #48 Sven Lah (BU) vs. Benjamin Hannestead (UM) 6-0, 1-6, 2-0 unfinished
4. Marko Miladinović (BU) def. Oren Vasser (UM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Finn Bass (BU) def. Martin Katz (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Juan Martin Jalif (UM) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #18 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) vs. #7 Franco Aubone/Benjamin Hannestad (UM) 3-4 unfinished
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) def. Martin Katz/Juan Martin Julif (UM) 6-2
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek def. Oren Vasser/Dan Martin (UM) 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)